Re: how to install firmware for wifi when lan is not working

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 04:51:36PM +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop.
Wireless is not working.
I do not have a lan card working  so as to  connect to it and use.Any
how I want to use the wifi so what do I need to install on it.
I will need to download any thing in the windows OS only (my laptop is
dual boot) and then install in Ubuntu.
So how should I go on.
lspci out put of my device is

0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
       Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:000c]
       Memory at f69fc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
       Capabilities: <access denied>
       Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
       Kernel modules: ssb

Install package linux-firmware-nonfree.

I'm confused (not unusual). How do you do this if there is no working
wifi under ubuntu? Is the package on the cd? If so you should have
mentioned this.

No it is not on CD.Any thing that is important to make your wifi is by
default not present in the ISO which I downloaded.
So I rebooted the machine to Windows (I have a dual boot) wifi was
working in Windows so I went to the site and manually downloaded the
linux-firmware-nonfree package in windows then rebooted to Ubuntu and
the double clicked on the .deb file which then installed the concerned
While doing so I did not had any connectivity to internet from within
Ubuntu as only wireless network is available since I had windows so I
was able to reboot and download the non-free firmware for Ubuntu and
reboot then install in Ubuntu and then got wifi working.

ubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Re: Newbie
    ... I have always been a windows user, I tried Linux about two years ... I suffered years of grief and misery with all versions of windows, ... did you really give Ubuntu a fair trial? ... get yourself the Ubuntu CD and try a fresh install. ...
  • Re: OT - help request for the Dark Side
    ... Or some apps may simply fail to function - IRC, news readers, ... The main reason people used to install Little Snitch (don't tell me any ... Then they're only familiar with WP and mail as is used on a Windows ... several PS's and the Ubuntu box would have been nice. ...
  • Re: dual booting Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 7
    ... Windows 7 Home Premium and had it installed at the shop. ... to dual boot Windows and Linux as I have successfully for the past ... I was able to easily install Ubuntu 13.04. ...
  • Cant install Ubuntu successfully along side WindowsXP
    ... Dual booting with Ubuntu 32 bit. ... Finally install was completed and I rebooted. ... Windows partition and on the Ubuntu partition. ...
    ... , my mate who often asks my help is not, so I am going to ... When I first started to install Ubuntu on this PC, ... question was 'How can I be certain its not going to trash my Windows ... now also have an unfamiliar boot process (but still no usable Ubuntu). ...