Re: how to install firmware for wifi when lan is not working

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 04:51:36PM +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop.
Wireless is not working.
I do not have a lan card working  so as to  connect to it and use.Any
how I want to use the wifi so what do I need to install on it.
I will need to download any thing in the windows OS only (my laptop is
dual boot) and then install in Ubuntu.
So how should I go on.
lspci out put of my device is

0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
       Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:000c]
       Memory at f69fc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
       Capabilities: <access denied>
       Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
       Kernel modules: ssb

Install package linux-firmware-nonfree.

I'm confused (not unusual). How do you do this if there is no working
wifi under ubuntu? Is the package on the cd? If so you should have
mentioned this.

--
No it is not on CD.Any thing that is important to make your wifi is by
default not present in the ISO which I downloaded.

  • Re: Re: Newbie
    ... I have always been a windows user, I tried Linux about two years ... I suffered years of grief and misery with all versions of windows, ... did you really give Ubuntu a fair trial? ... get yourself the Ubuntu CD and try a fresh install. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: OT - help request for the Dark Side
    ... Or some apps may simply fail to function - IRC, news readers, ... The main reason people used to install Little Snitch (don't tell me any ... Then they're only familiar with WP and mail as is used on a Windows ... several PS's and the Ubuntu box would have been nice. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: dual booting Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 7
    ... Windows 7 Home Premium and had it installed at the shop. ... to dual boot Windows and Linux as I have successfully for the past ... I was able to easily install Ubuntu 13.04. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Cant install Ubuntu successfully along side WindowsXP
    ... Dual booting with Ubuntu 32 bit. ... Finally install was completed and I rebooted. ... Windows partition and on the Ubuntu partition. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: dual booting Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 7
    ... Windows 7, or even just to install Ubuntu 13.04 by itself on some post-2010 machines. ... After shutting down, I did, however, find entries on the BIOS boot menu for both Microsoft and Ubuntu, and by changing the boot order I was able to boot successfully back into Windows. ...
    (Ubuntu)