Re: <slightly OT> Linux Counter updated!!

On 22 September 2011 22:00, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:11:56 +0100
Liam Proven <lproven@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Alt-F4 is the Windows, KDE and GNOME shortcut key to close the current
active window.

Yes, if no windows are open, it brings up the shutdown dialog box on
Windows, but that is not is primary purpose.

Happily, such doesn't seem to be the case with LXDE, although some
(most?  all?) individual programs do abide by it.

The basic CUA keystrokes are supported on quite a lot of window
managers and OSs these days.

E.g.

Tab: next field
Shift-tab: previous field
Ctrl-left/right: move cursor a word at a time
Shift+cursor keys: select text
Ctrl+shift+left/right: select text while moving a word at a time
Alt-Tab: switch to next program
Alt-shift-tab: switch to previous program
Ctrl-W or Ctrl-F4: close document or subwindow
Alt-F4: close current window
Ctrl-N: new window/document
Ctrl-O: open file
Ctrl-S: save current file
Ctrl-P: print current file

And the Mac-like:
Ctrl-X: cut selection
Ctrl-C: copy selection
Ctrl-V: paste clipboard
Ctrl-Z: undo

Ctrl-B: toggle bold on/off for selection
Ctrl-I: toggle italics on/off for selection
Ctrl-B: toggle underline on/off for selection

I am often amazed at how skilled computer users don't know the basic
shortcut keys.

It is also why I can't get my head around EMACS - because however
wonderful and powerful it might be, it doesn't use the basic control
keys that have been around for 25y now. Aquamacs on OS X came close,
but I'd really like a cross-platform text-mode version of EMACS that
used the standard control keys that all CUA systems conform to.

Email: lproven@xxxxxxxxx • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@xxxxxxxxx
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lproven@xxxxxxxxxxx • ICQ: 73187508

  • Re: From KDE to GNOME. Experiences, suggestions and comments
    ... In GNOME I had to first download the pics to the local machine, ... to unmount the device from there either. ... and it displays a window. ... Primary selection is not the clipboard. ...
    (GNOME)
  • Re: Explorer weirdness
    ... Shift-click selection behavior is buggy. ... Dragging a file from window A to window B sometimes hangs both ... Explorer recovers from these in maybe 10-20 seconds, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: ROT: Dilbert
    ... selection in the LH window or the RH window? ... the Administrators group are not really Administrators any ... both the BBC iPlayer Desktop app and Dropbox install their executable ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Screen to clipboard?
    ... By document, I just mean the content of your window, whatever that may ... you need a way to represent the current selection. ... which I'll call the caret ... to the client area of your window). ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Star Fighter 3000 editors (recent improvements)
    ... editing window, to the icon bar icon, or another window. ... You can now force exclusive selection by holding Ctrl whilst clicking ... Selected colour bands now display the associated colour numbers ... The Home and End keys now act on the caret rather than just scrolling ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.games)