Windows 8's use of the UEFI Secure Boot

I heard about the UEFI Secure Boot feature that might impair installing an alternate OS (Linux) or prevent the use of Dual Boot. Supposedly it would be a part of the motherboard hardware and prevent ANY changes to the boot sector. Supposedly it would prevent root-kits as there would be no way to get around it. Has anybody heard more about this and what would the Ubuntu community do about this?

Bill Stanley

  • Re: RH 9.0 doesnt install: blank screen! (RH 8.0 & 7.2 do though)
    ... Tried 'linux text noprobe skipddc noapic apm=off noht'. ... I wanted to try on and so I chose 7 boot options: ... linux text noprobe skipddc lowres apm=off noapic nousb ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: installation problems
    ... RH 9 had trashed my Linux partition and rendered my PC unbootable. ... >you can create the floppy from and can be created on a differnet ... >on the CD as the floppy boot image. ... and since flash drives seem to be listed in /proc as scsi devices, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Subject: Linux hacked ... After you boot up into the OS running from CD, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: New to linux..looking for program I can boot and run off CD
    ... >>and he was using a windows os but booted and run Linux programs off a CD. ... >having to do a dual boot thing on my current machine. ... > That would be Knoppix or one of it's derivatives. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Of mice and men
    ... They're two of the many Linux distributions. ... > provided it has its own partition. ... separate boot partition, but that's the easiest approach - unless ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)