Re: Was: Shuttleworth (SABDFL) wants to shutdown this ubuntu.user list

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Rashkae <ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My idea is simply that mailman requires a function to 'lock a thread'.
When invoked by a moderator, any reply to any message in that discussion
thread gets rejected. I see no reason why this would not be relatively
trivial to implement. Sure, it would be easy for people to work around, but
only a few would, and those can be dealt with directly as misbehaving
agents. I think that effectively disabling people's 'reply' button to an
unwanted discussion thread would solve 90% of the problems with a list like
this.

Just last night I started digging around in
http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Mailman+3.0 to see what new features were
planned for implementation in MailMan 3 to see if anything like this was
already being coded up.

I can't see anything like this in the 2.2 or 3 documents I found last night.

From a brief (and I mean 10 second) think about it, it's should be easy to
mark a message as mute, and then discard any new mail coming in which has
this message id in the refers field of the message header.

I was planning on seeing how I could pull the python source repo this
evening, but as the sun is out, I've elected that the pub is a far more
interesting bet. Might have a dig around this weekend.

--
Steve

When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many people
suffer from a delusion it is called religion.