Re: display issues

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Bruce Pieterse <octoquadza@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Oct 17, 2011 8:58 AM, "G." <pegngaryubuntu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 8:30 AM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 1:40 AM, Avi Greenbury <lists@xxxxxx> wrote:
G. wrote:

That bug is for AMD 64 architechture.  I have 32 bit.  Should I report
a new bug?

Nah, just mark yourself as affected by that one. If there's some
particular reason you think your bug has a different cause than that
one because of the architecture difference then it'd be worth
commenting so (and explaining), but the likelihood is that this is just
an omission to work around some peculiarity of the way the graphics
drivers work.

In fact, more important than the word length of your kernel is the make
of your graphics card and which driver you're using; it'd be worth
commenting with those.

--
Avi

I filed a bug report 837599.  O am not sure if the problems are
identical.

Thanks everyone for helping.

Do I mark this as solved?

gary

Another question.  Is there a way to duplicate my original (the one
where I have the Unity problem) user's set up?  I can load into unity
with another user.  I would rather not have to reinstall the programs
I had installed.  I think I can move the files just by copying them,
there aren't that many.

Thanks

GaryK

Gary,

My other solution was to rename your .gconf and .gnome2 folders by appending
.bak and then trying to log in to your problematic account. You will have to
do this while you are logged out of the GUI by using CTRL + ALT + F2. Log
in, Rename the folders, logout, login via the GUI and Ubuntu will copy the
skeleton configuration over to your home folder.

Bruce

I'll give it a try. When do you do the CTRL+ALT+F2?

garyk