Re: unity panel make sticky

On Sun 23 Oct 2011 21:23:14 SAST, Colin Law wrote:
On 23 October 2011 20:15, Bruce Pieterse<octoquadza@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun 23 Oct 2011 21:00:44 SAST, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

2011/10/23 Bruce Pieterse<octoquadza@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Sun 23 Oct 2011 19:53:23 SAST, Henri Mone wrote:

Dear Unity Users,

I just switched to Ubuntu 11.10. I'm coming to unity desktop from
gnome. It is for me quiet annoying that the panel on the left side
always diapers. I would like to know:

1. How do I make the unity panel on the left side sticky?
2. How do I make the icons on the unity panel smaller, not all of my
applications fit on the panel.

Thanks,
Henri

Hi Henri,

You can find this option under the Compiz Config Settings Manager. This
can
be installed via the terminal with sudo apt-get install
compizconfig-settings-manager. Once installed you can launch the
application
and then click on Ubuntu Unity Plugin. To make the panel sticky change
the
option "Hide Launcher" to "Never". To change the size of the icons switch
the "Experimental" tab on the top and change "Launcher icon size" to its
minimum value of 32.

You might need to logout and login again to see the changes. If the
changes
still do not reflect try restarting the OS. I changed the settings
earlier
and didn't notice any changes, and I have yet to logout/login or restart
my
machine.

If you would like to change additional Gnome settings you could try
Ubuntu
Tweak from ubuntu-tweak.com or use the advanced tool from the repository.

--
Best of luck,

Bruce

I am not trying to steal the thread here, but rather ask some kind of
a follow-up question. I am still on Ubuntu 10.10 since the upper (and
only) panel in 11.04 couldn't be auto-hided. Is this possible in
11.10? If so, I might give it another try…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Hi Johnny,

It would be best if you started a new thread regarding this, in the
meantime, I'll have a look and see if it is possible. However, it might not
be possible as it will degrade usability for the user. That means that every
time you wanted to see the menu options, you will have to wait for the menu
to show from its auto-hide state and then select an option. That would be
very annoying for me personally.

The menu itself is hidden at the moment and does not appear till the
mouse is over it, there is no reason why the panel should auto-appear
just as quickly as the menu itself appears at the moment, so there
would be no additional wait involved.

Colin

Perhaps one of the ways to work around this
is to remove the following packages: appmenu-gtk3, appmenu-gtk and
appmenu-qt to get the old menu location back.
--
Best of luck,

Bruce

Hi Colin,

Johnny means using the Gnome 2 option "Autohide" for taskbars where the panel is hidden. When the mouse is pointing to the first top pixel it will show the taskbar again.

Johnny, I have tried creating the two keys in gconf-editor to have the panel hidden by using this article: http://atunu.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-to-hide-taskbar-aka-gnome-panel.html after logging out and logging in again, it doesn't seem to work. Therefore, I would take it that the autohide feature was deprecated with Gnome 3. Since 11.04 still uses the Gnome 2 bindings, it might be possible to use this feature, perhaps try setting up a virtualbox/vmware of 11.04 and try it out or file a bug at launchpad.net for this as feature request.

Henri, you will need to log out and log back in again to see the changes to unity after you tweaked the two settings.
--
Best of luck,

Bruce