Re: Empty directory not getting deleted in external harddisk

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:12 PM, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 1:36 AM, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

So it seems like your USB disk is /dev/sdb1. So in this case, Bruce
Pieterse suggested that you should run the following in a terminal:

fsck -y /dev/sdb1

It says me:

*****
/dev/sdb1 is mounted.

WARNING!!!  The filesystem is mounted.   If you continue you ***WILL***
cause ***SEVERE*** filesystem damage.

Do you really want to continue (y/n)?
****

Should I go? I have many imp. files in the usb drive hard disk and they
would remain safe i guess...?

*No. Unmount the filesystem first.

df -h

to see the directory the fileystem is mounted.

Then

umount /directoryPath

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

  • Kernel Panic for File System, cannot umount / fsck
    ... kill the processing blocking that umount. ... I can't run fsck. ... kill fails silently, the process remains in the process list. ... SEVERE filesystem damage. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: uncorrectable ext2 errors
    ... > Perhaps there is still some connection to my problem. ... just umount after fsck and you should be set... ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: READ_DMA48 error interpretation
    ... On Jan 16, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Richard Lynch wrote: ... But is this like RED ALERT or more like YELLOW or what? ... umount and fsck everything a lot? ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Empty directory not getting deleted in external harddisk
    ... fsck -y /dev/sdb1 ... files in the usb drive hard disk and they ... umount /directoryPath ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • umount /var on Sol 10
    ... new to Sol 10 and can't figure out how to umount /var for a fsck due to ... have mirrored all partitions in root disk with SVM. ...
    (comp.sys.sun.admin)