Re: Empty directory not getting deleted in external harddisk

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 1:45 AM, Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

It says me:

/dev/sdb1 is mounted.

WARNING!!! The filesystem is mounted. If you continue you ***WILL***
cause ***SEVERE*** filesystem damage.

Do you really want to continue (y/n)?

Should I go? I have many imp. files in the usb drive hard disk and they
would remain safe i guess...?

*No. Unmount the filesystem first.

df -h

to see the directory the fileystem is mounted.

umount /directoryPath

Oh sorry but now it has been umounted.

I did it as follows;

cd /media
umount <name of usb harddisk>

now i run 'df -h' and its not listed there

now i run

sudo fdisk -l

it gives me as follows:

myfamily@myfamily-desktop:~$ df -h
/dev/sda5 110G 25G 80G 24% /
none 997M 288K 997M 1% /dev
none 1001M 260K 1001M 1% /dev/shm
none 1001M 80K 1001M 1% /var/run
none 1001M 0 1001M 0% /var/lock
none 1001M 0 1001M 0% /lib/init/rw
/dev/sdb1 299G 183G 116G 62% /media/parshwa wh

should i run now:

fsck -y /dev/sdb1

And all my files would be safe?

Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's
wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"

Ubuntu LTS is good <>!
ubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: