A Disturbing Dialog About Ubuntu and Unity

In view of certain recent threads:

A Disturbing Dialog About Ubuntu and Unity

Nov 02, 2011 10:31pm GMT

Bruce Byfield

Curious about how design decisions are made for Ubuntu's Unity? About how the development team reacts to criticisms of its efforts? If you are, then a moment of unusual -- and troubling -- clarity emerged last week on Launchpad, Canonical's development site.

The moment takes the form of Bug #882274, filed by Tal Liron under the title "Community engagement is broken." Although other people comment, much of the discussion is between Liron, an active bug-filer, and Mark Shuttleworth, Ubuntu's founder. Liron writes as an Ubuntu loyalist, mostly succeeding in maintaining his politeness and trying to be constructive, but his frustration and feelings of being ostracized are obvious.

read the rest -

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Off-the-Beat-Bruce-Byfield-s-Blog/A-Disturbing-Dialog-About-Ubuntu-and-Unity

--

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin -

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

  • Re: Unity ROCKS!!!
    ... the only way to make this and other thread (discussing Unity) ... 1980s - Windows was a novelty to me. ... The people behind Unity are working hard to keep the interface capable ... nothing to do with Canonical or Ubuntu - I am just a user. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME
    ... As for myself, I'll just use Unity, and get used to ... without having to buy the thing with Ubuntu pre-installed on it...I ... get used to it - they just install another desktop environment. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Ubuntu with Unity versus Kubuntu with KDE
    ... question to those who have used/using KDE and Unity. ... I left opensuse a couple of years ago because of KDE (with its ... and and went Ubuntu with gnome. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Gnome2 vs. Gnome3. Why not just port the old environment to the new toolkit?
    ... And before I'll start I have to admit that I never used Linux Mint in the past, and probably never want due to I'm through with everything Ubuntu-related ("But Kim, Linux Mint is something completely different, it's Ubuntu done right!" ... Anyway, I claim that Linux Mint is *only* the better choice over Ubuntu *if* you don't want to use Unity, which is in fact just a forked GNOME 3 fake, and a completely wast of time ("Kim, how dare you? ... I don't want to rant on Unity that much, to me, it's just a fork that exists because Canocical was pissed by the fact thet Red Hat took lead on the GNOME 3 development. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME
    ... As for myself, I'll just use Unity, and get used to ... without having to buy the thing with Ubuntu pre-installed on it...I ... get used to it - they just install another desktop environment. ... I like having the panel at the bottom of the screen where I can see at a glance what I have running and in what window it is running. ...
    (Ubuntu)