Re: My request to ubuntu developer team

Liam Proven wrote:
On 16 November 2011 13:12, Amedee Van Gasse <amedee-ubuntu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, November 16, 2011 02:54, Liam Proven wrote:

*But* what has happened is that some volunteers forked GNOME 2.32, the
last version before GNOME 3. It's now called Mate:
https://github.com/Perberos/Mate-Desktop-Environment

Because the name has changed, the package names have changed. So, in
theory, you can have Mate and GNOME 3 installed at once.

And there is a PPA for Mate:
https://launchpad.net/~amanas/+archive/mate-desktop

So in theory you could install Mate, remove GNOME 3 and Unity and have
a modern Ubuntu with the classic-GNOME-style desktop.

And who knows, maybe someone will do a remix that includes this?

It's not a trivial task, though. And it is too soon to say if the Mate
project will be a success, attracte more volunteer developers and
continue to get updated.
Mate doesn't have a lot of activity. I'm afraid that it's a stillborn child.

I suspect you are right. Trinity - the fork of KDE3 that came out
after KDE 4 - also struggled on for a short distance and then largely
died, in just the same way.

It would be better, I think, in both cases, to start over and
re-implement a "classic" style desktop on top of the newer versions of
the libraries and applets/accessories. But that is very obviously an
epic task.

It is not as apparent at first, but forking an existing desktop and
then maintaining and updating it is /also/ an epic task and needs a
lot of effort - and therefore probably a lot of people. I don't think
that a handful of people could do it.

I upgraded by Dell Latitude D830 to 11.10 a few days ago. I added CCSM to have the dock on the side hide all the time, installed Docky. Works fine, and I'm not bother by Unity really. Taking a little looking to find the options I want, but otherwise I'll stick with it.

For those who really want a Gnome2 feeling, Going with Xubuntu (XFCE) or Lubnutu (LXDE) is a sensible way to go. They take a little tweaking to get it close to Gnome2, but not horrilbe.

What I'd like to see (unfortunately, don't have the time nor thorough enough knowledge to do) is create a meta-package (which would bring in appropriate apps, themes, adn configure it) for X- and Lubuntu to easily "instantly" make them look as close to Gnome2 as possible.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy in the internet.

  • RE: Installing Cinnamon 2.0
    ... I can't develop for MATE, it's not part of my skill ... And what about those people being ancient gnome users because gnome is ... XFCE is regarded ... If a different paradigm were able to enter the mainstream DEs, it would really be a nice thing for DE users. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Ubuntu Precise: kritischer Desktop-Vergleich
    ... Als mir Mate auch nicht mehr so gut gefiel (weiß ... die eben Gnome 2 bot: ... nach unten wie bei dem normalen Gnome Classic. ... Ein Panel mit Direktzugriff auf Bluetooth, Netzwerk, Uhrzeit mit Datum, ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: Debian jetzt mit xfce als Standard-Desktop
    ... Haufen Desktop-Umgebungen und deren jeweiligen Spezial-Anwendungen ... Da unity und mate "unter der Haube" AFAIK groestenteils auf die selbe ... Infrastruktur wie gnome zurueckgreifen, ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: Anyone interested in a "GNOME 2 look and feel" remix?
    ... I tried MATE for the first time about ten days ago and felt that I'd ... it be better to just take the GNOME 3 programs and include them, ... His point about dumbed-down apps is a good one. ... the GNOME developer was asking that app developer to disbale some ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Anyway of keeping gnome2 while upgrading from Squeeze to Wheezy
    ... Mate 1.2.0 and I've read that it the bug is fixed on 1.2.3 version. ... OK on my system apart from the upgrades. ... lack the polish of Gnome 2. ...
    (Debian-User)