Re: My request to ubuntu developer team

W. Scott Lockwood III wrote:

No need to fork. Use Linux Mint.

It makes little sense to switch distro just because you disagree with
the new DE on your current one. Presumably people chose Ubuntu for
reasons other than its use of Gnome 2 (especially given that pretty
much every other distro also used Gnome 2).

And there *is* a need to fork if what you want is the old Gnome 2.0.
It's no longer maintained by the Gnome foundation so any ongoing
maintenance will almost by definition be a fork.

If what you want is something like Gnome 2.0, XFCE does a pretty good
impersonation, and is worth a go. Install the package xubuntu-desktop
to give it a go without hosing anything else.

--
Avi

  • Re: [OT Humor] "Obviously designed by morons"
    ... migrate to KDE or some other DE, ... zone with Gnome 2.X*] will stick to Fedora 14 till they can adapt to GNOME ... Hmm, this is curious, I didn't know there is a fork out there. ... maintaining the old versions of 3rd party apps and backend libs, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Gnome 3 Fallback Mode forked
    ... Subject: Re: Gnome 3 Fallback Mode forked ... MATE is the fork of GNOME 2, ... > I also note that Debian has added Cinnamon. ... I never tested a fork of the big DEs. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: GNOME 2 on Fedora 15
    ... no one has started a gnome 2 fork ... A Fork Of GNOME 2: The Mate Desktop ... Linux user back in June, but it hasn't yet gained too much traction ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [opensuse] Gnome2 vs. Gnome3. Why not just port the old environment to the new toolkit?
    ... The GNOME team wants to follow what upstream is doing and they do probably not have the bandwidth or the desire to maintain a "semi fork" with he GNOME 2 look. ... My personal opinion is that there will not be a sufficient number of developers to form a viable upstream community, ... XFCE upstream community is reasonably active and maintenance in the openSUSE project is in good shape. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Gnome2 vs. Gnome3. Why not just port the old environment to the new toolkit?
    ... The GNOME team wants to follow what upstream ... maintain a "semi fork" with he GNOME 2 look. ... developers to form a viable upstream community, ... This make maintenance within the openSUSE project extremely difficult. ...
    (SuSE)