Re: My request to ubuntu developer team

On Sun, 2011-11-20 at 17:17 +0000, Liam Proven wrote:

American currency is very odd, to me as an occasionally-visiting Brit.

All the banknotes are the same size, which is downright hostile to
blind people. The coins also sometimes bear officially-sanctioned
nicknames which give the foreigner no clue as to their denomination.
E.g. I have no idea how much a "nickel" is worth - that's a metal to
me - or a "dime". (10¢? 50¢?) At least a "quarter" is relatively
guessable.

Easy, just do what Americans do; use the paper notes for your
transactions; don't bother counting the coins when you get change; throw
your coins in a jar until you visit the bank with free coin counting
machines. (You will occasionally get some Canadian coins and lose a bit
from inaccuracies in coin machines but you gain so much piece of mind.)

It is ripe for a complete redesign. It's easy - in Britain we do this
every decade or so. It's not traumatic or difficult at all.

More Americans use cash than their UK counterparts due to deep seeded
distrust of authorities, banks, and technology in large portions of the
USA population.

  • Re: Please pass the word around
    ... Awshitski, I porgots, you're used to the Asstralian/British customs of striking medals for things like surviving boot camp and reporting for mess with clean fingernails. ... There has never been any conscious interest in America and Americans verifiable than this peculiar figment of your imagination. ... valid lease renewable in perpetuity for US$4,000 annually in gold coins or ingots. ... impure minted gold coins carved with a Leghorn fowl because they are not hard and sharp enough for the job. ...
    (soc.culture.filipino)
  • Re: My request to ubuntu developer team
    ... to me as an occasionally-visiting Brit. ... The coins also sometimes bear officially-sanctioned ... as it has done many of those of us here in Europe. ... More Americans use cash than their UK counterparts due to deep seeded ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Chicago Tribune pro-dollar-coin article
    ... sense to eliminate dollar bills in favor of coins. ... SWITCHING TO COINS WOULD SAVE $522 MILLION A YEAR ... is that Americans don't like carrying around lot of coins. ...
    (rec.collecting.coins)
  • Re: US mint circulates Alaska quarters
    ... and all designs must come from an in-house competition ... was used on so many coins during this series. ... continue to educate Americans and to pass on "American" messages to ... Before I make a comment about your grasp of the English language, ...
    (rec.collecting.coins)
  • Re: US mint circulates Alaska quarters
    ... and all designs must come from an in-house competition ... was used on so many coins during this series. ... continue to educate Americans and to pass on "American" messages to ... Why don't you just pack up and move to Europe? ...
    (rec.collecting.coins)