Re: Gnome 3

On 12/02/2011 07:38 AM, Mike wrote:
On 12/01/2011 12:32 PM, Jeffrey Gray wrote:
Anyone messed with gnome3? I tried it on my netbook and it
chocked
the living crap out of it. I am now using it on my work PC
as well as
the wife's box at home and find it fairly slick.

Anyone with any thoughts?

I'm using Gnome 3 (Mint 12 with the Mint Gnome Shell
Extensions) and I like it a lot. I like the fact that there
are extensions that allow you to customize your desktop. Mine
is customized to resemble a classic Mint Gnome 2 desktop (one
panel on the bottom), however I'm also finding that I use the
infinity button (activities menu) quite often. I'm also liking
the alt f2 feature that brings up the run command prompt.

My prediction is that Gnome 3 will be very customizable in the
near future thanks to the Gnome Extensions that are
continually being developed. Unity will most likely be more
customizable as time goes on as well.

The more I use Gnome 3 the more I'm liking it.

HTH

I forgot to mention that I also added the Cairo Dock to the top of my traditional looking (Gnome 2 style) desktop with additional customized launchers. I have it set to auto hide unless I mouse over. As you said, Gnome 3 is "fairly slick". :)