Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 88, Issue 19

------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 18:22:12 +0100
From: Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
<ubuntu-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ?Package dependencies can not be solved?

2011/12/3 Liam Proven <lproven@xxxxxxxxx>:
On 3 December 2011 16:47, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
?This error could be caused by required additional software packages
which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a
conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be
installed at the same time.?

Details:
?The following packages have unmet dependencies:
language-pack-gnome-sv; language-pack-sv;?

First time I got this was when doing one of those updates using the
update manager. I thought that maybe some of the stuff I installed
myself could be the reason, so I installed Ubuntu 11.10 again, but
from scratch this time (except that I kept my old /home partition).
When starting up I was informed that the Swedish language support was
not complete and I was asked to fix it. I said yes and after a while
this error message popped up again.

Is this fixable or should I just wait for the next update and hope
they fixed it??

Have you tried to do this?

sudo apt-get install -f

I tried it in my old install and it didn't help. I didn't try it since
the fresh install though, but I will now. Wait? :)

Reading package lists... Done
Reading state information... Done
0 to upgrade, 0 to install, 0 to remove and 252 to not upgrade.

(The last line was in Swedish, so the above is my translation of it).

Nothing more happened, so I'll try to install complete language
support again now:
Clicking Language Support
A dialogue box pops up, saying something like this, I translate from Swedish:
?Your language support is not fully installed
Some translations are available for your selected languages and they
are still not installed. Do you want to install them now?
language-pack-sv
language-pack-gnome-sv
language-pack-sv
[Remind me later] [Install]?

I clicked Install.
By the way, why are language-pack-sv mentioned twice??

?Package dependencies cannot be resolved? and so on, in other words: FAIL.

Thanks for the input, though.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
????????????

Hi Johnny

I'm not sure if this is the answer but not updating 252 packages on a
new install sounds suspicious and at least this is something simple you
can try. The language packs thing *might* be error messages coming from
two different repositories. That's also a guess...

In update-manager->settings make sure install from CD-ROM is *not*
checked and any required repositories *are* checked. If in doubt check
everything except source code. Close update-manager to make sure the
sources list is updated. In a terminal run sudo apt-get update then
sudo apt-get upgrade. This should fix things if your problem was not
having the proper repositories available.

Hope that helps
Roy

  • Re: microsoft language register doesnt work
    ... What were you expecting the Language Register to do? ... I have no idea what creating a symbolic link to the Microsoft Error ... Install two service packs and all the updates to 12.2.4 ... Resolve all Font Duplicates by removing the old versions from the ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: Problem installing MUI in an unattend installation
    ... LanguageGroup = language group ID, ... if you install one language ... then you install all complex script language groups. ...
  • Re: INTL/Localized XP installation
    ... " So you have to purchase Windows XP of the language version most ... correctly but I do not see any other options during the install than what I ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Problem installing MUI in an unattend installation
    ... I use Unattend installation from DOS boot USB device... ... So I think that setup try to install MUI ... LanguageGroup = language group ID, ...
  • Re: Can Win XP become a "Japanese operating system"?
    ... MicrosoftWindows XP Multilingual User Interface Pack ... Welcome to the Windows XP Multilingual User Interface (MUI) Pack. ... After you install the Windows XP Multilingual User Interface Pack, ... with the system components change to the selected language. ...
    (sci.lang.japan)