Re: What I do for a new machine?

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 19:23, Liam Proven <lproven@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Shalom!

Well, OK, yes, I am sure that this is true. But, OTOH, it is an easy,
safe guideline, very easy to remember and to work out, and disk space
is very cheap these days. A gig or two here or there is nothing when
terabyte hard disks are becoming common.

I suppose the only time you would ever need even as much as 1.5×
physical RAM now on a modern PC is if you hibernated a machine which
was swapping very heavily.

But then, not everyone is running a modern machine. I have installed
Ubuntu (well, Lubuntu) onto 2 or 3 machines with 256MB RAM in the last
year or 2 and several with 512MB.

On machines with less than a full GiB then I agree to use 1.5 or 2
times the RAM. Also, I forgot to mention: to hibernate / sleep the
swap should be as big as the RAM + the video memory! I have seen video
cards with 1 GiB of video memory, so that is significant!

Have a great evening!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il