Re: What I do for a new machine?

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 19:23, Liam Proven <lproven@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Shalom!

Well, OK, yes, I am sure that this is true. But, OTOH, it is an easy,
safe guideline, very easy to remember and to work out, and disk space
is very cheap these days. A gig or two here or there is nothing when
terabyte hard disks are becoming common.

I suppose the only time you would ever need even as much as 1.5×
physical RAM now on a modern PC is if you hibernated a machine which
was swapping very heavily.

But then, not everyone is running a modern machine. I have installed
Ubuntu (well, Lubuntu) onto 2 or 3 machines with 256MB RAM in the last
year or 2 and several with 512MB.

On machines with less than a full GiB then I agree to use 1.5 or 2
times the RAM. Also, I forgot to mention: to hibernate / sleep the
swap should be as big as the RAM + the video memory! I have seen video
cards with 1 GiB of video memory, so that is significant!

Have a great evening!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

  • Re: Wish to try Linux
    ... GiB address space. ... RAM, then chances are that the RAM above that barrier will be obscured ... As memory addresses cannot be assigned to ... it came with Red Hat Linux 5.0 and was ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: The death of Hibernate?
    ... But, as far as which is faster, I have 1G of RAM. ... Boot time is not what I want to do on the train. ... Enough that I can suspend, ... which would save huge time on hibernate and restore, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Does Standby mean the fans stop running?
    ... Commonly referred to as Standby, Sleep, or Suspend to RAM. ... The PC still has significant power consumption. ... S4 (hibernate), the computing session is stored on disk, and can survive unplugging ... The BIOS offers some ACPI S1,S3,S1&S3 options. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Newer old hardware
    ... more than 3.2 GiB of RAM in your machine, ... This means that the RAM that would normally be covered by ... memory hole by remapping that RAM to a location above the 4 GiB barrier. ... Core Duo or perhaps a Core 2 Duo. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Managing to get the 4 RAM GiB recognized easily
    ... I've got 4 GiB of RAM on this computer. ... I had used a bigmem kernel. ... If your computer has a 64bit CPU, you could also install the 64bit ...
    (Debian-User)