Re: Application to show media type in CD/DVD drive

On 12/22/2011 07:20 AM, Chris Green wrote:
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 09:08:13AM -0600, CJ Tres wrote:
On 12/22/2011 05:57 AM, Chris Green wrote:
What's a good application for showing what sort of disk has been put
into the CD/DVD drive?

I currently have xfburn installed and that doesn't tell me anything about
the disk media.

Are you referring to blank or written disks?
Well, either really, I want to be able to check unmarked disks to see
what type of disk they are (CD or DVD, writable, re-writable, readable)
and, if they are read-only, see what sort of data is on the disk.

I don't really know, but what do you see if you insert various disks, wait for them to settle, then check the last lines in dmesg? If that works, you could come up with a command line that greps the relevant entry and prints to screen.

Not elegant for sure . . .

--PE

  • Re: Office does not start up at all
    ... I think the installer is one of the main problems. ... Can you try running the Office Remover application from your hard disk? ... at least offer some sort of "show special". ... other Microsoft applications on the DVD. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office)
  • Copying stuff off Sky + disk
    ... I've heard its stored in some sort of proprietary format... ... Is there any way to copy the stuff off one disk and back onto another? ... Or better still - anyway to decode the video and burn to DVD? ... I've got Sky coming in the next day or two to replace my knackered box ...
    (uk.tech.tv.sky)
  • Re: [opensuse] Does anyone know about disk master password
    ... I believe the master password is set by the owner of the disk, ... Unless the manufacturer sets a default one:-? ... On the disk media? ... rom somewhere on the controller board? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Error message: This pin cannot use the supplied media type.
    ... onto blank DVD - I put the video footage onto a menu in Roxio and have played ... My guess is you've somehow made a DVD disk, ... What sort of filename did the video have after you downloaded it - ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: "A" Drive problem
    ... > I had Windows XP Prof installedon my Dell ... > info stored on some disk and cannot access it. ... The disk media is probably goosed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)