Re: Newbie query: Ubuntu vs openSUSE

On 12/23/2011 12:37 AM, Rameshwar Kr. Sharma wrote:
HELLO GUYS,

I really needed the suggestion of the people of this great mailing
list regarding the difference between the openSUSE and the Ubuntu
distributions, finding myself new in this world of Linux or Unix
(whatever you people call), I guess here people have nice experiences
and thus can make better points.

Best Regards.

Why not get a live CD for each of the systems, and run them.
You may find that one system is much more to your liking
than the other. However, be aware that there are a number
of desktop environments available. There might be more
for OpenSuse, I just don't know. There are some for
variations on Ubuntu, such a Xubuntu, Kubuntu, and even
Mint, which is a descendent, but not under Ubuntu control.

The "word" is that Gnome is on its way out, and something
like Unity will take its place. You may find you don't like
Unity--apparently a lot of folks don't. There were grumbles
about KDE when version 4 came out, but it's now up to (I
think) 4.8, and even since 4.5, it has been quite useable
and stable, and in some flavors, at least, is more user-
friendly to those who come from a Windows environment.

There are also "light" DTEs, like XFCE and LXDE which
you may be able to get on live CD for Suse and/or Ubuntu.
I haven't tried either one, so I just know they exist.

Good hunting!--doug

  • Newbie query: Ubuntu vs openSUSE
    ... I really needed the suggestion of the people of this great mailing ... list regarding the difference between the openSUSE and the Ubuntu ... distributions, finding myself new in this world of Linux or Unix ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Recommended distro to install for a newcomer to Linux
    ... I just use OpenSuse because I trust it? ... Debian has an excellent package management by way of apt-get and ... Like PCLinuxOS, Mageia is a Mandriva spin-off, and still has much of the ... Ubuntu is fairly reliable from the technical point of view because it ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: OpenSuse und Truecrypt
    ... Rechner mit Opensuse zu bestücken. ... Windows mit Truecrypt verschlüsselt und NTFS formatiert wurden. ... Mit Ubuntu konnte man den ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: ubuntu-10,4 - Unable to instal
    ... I downloaded Ubuntu 10.4 and burned the iso with opensuse 11.3 k3b and ... why are you doing this double-burning with openSUSE and then also ... Ubuntu 9.10 installed flawlessly on same laptop. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [opensuse] VLC problem in 11.4
    ... I actually am using Ubuntu. ... Well, sorry, I do tell a slight mistruth:-[: I am at the moment trying to use openSUSE 11.4/KDE - and trying to get it to work the way I want it to work [1]. ... Now I am retrying oS with KDE because Ubuntu with "Unity" is the lesser of two eviils - at least with KDE one knows where one stands, and it is here for the long haul. ... As far as I am concerned, Gnome is now "dead": gnome #3 is worse than Unity and gnome #2.x simply cannot continue to be maintained by fewer and fewer volunteers. ...
    (SuSE)