Re: Newbie query: Ubuntu vs openSUSE

On 12/23/2011 02:04 AM, Rameshwar Kr. Sharma wrote:
On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 11:37 AM, doug<dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Why not get a live CD for each of the systems, and run them.
You may find that one system is much more to your liking
than the other. However, be aware that there are a number
of desktop environments available. There might be more
for OpenSuse, I just don't know. There are some for
variations on Ubuntu, such a Xubuntu, Kubuntu, and even
Mint, which is a descendent, but not under Ubuntu control.

Well, it is to request to please point to point differentiate between
the two distros, if you can, just a request. Thanks.

Heh, that's kinda like discussing religion and politics. It's usually avoided. OpenSuse is rpm package based, and Ubuntu is deb package based. Both offer pretty much the same software.

Doug gave you great advice. If you're not handy with cd burning or have limited bandwidth, go to some place like on-disk.com and pay about $5 US for each distro's live CD and try them out to see what YOU like. For old and crusty machines Lubuntu is a good choice. I use Xubuntu as I like the XFCE desktop. Or maybe you'll like Unity with the standard Ubuntu install. It's hard for someone else to tell you what you'll like or why you should install which version of which distribution. But, by golly, you do have choices! Enjoy! Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 84, Issue 95
    ... adding video card ... need help to translate nudi into unicode ... I'm running ubuntu 11.04 on a Dell G260 desktop. ... ..the Sin of Ignorance, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: thanks fedora
    ... Now, the OP claims to be familiar with Linux, using Fedora, etc. ... Especially when comparing an old version of Ubuntu to the most recent ... ..the Sin of Ignorance, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Stop it already!
    ... I have done the knee-jerk and my sharing with Ubuntu a couple of cents from my purchase didn't happen, as I had it turned off. ... Moderating sure seems like Anger In Action to me, and we still have the last three stages to go. ... I would suggest just bite the bullet, get into a funk when self-realizations hits that such a horrendous mistake was made, and get to Acceptance fixing it so there is mutual benefit. ... ..the Sin of Ignorance, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: A "green" distro of Ubuntu?
    ... Ubuntu specific or due to Debian heritage. ... what's required to download/update apps ... It could fit on a 360KB floppy. ... ..the Sin of Ignorance, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: thanks fedora
    ... run Ubuntu, therefore I assumed you weren't a noobie. ... See my reply to Nils Kassube ... shoes while asking for free advice. ... ..the Sin of Ignorance, ...
    (Ubuntu)