Re: Newbie query: Ubuntu vs openSUSE

On 12/23/2011 02:04 AM, Rameshwar Kr. Sharma wrote:
On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 11:37 AM, doug<dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Why not get a live CD for each of the systems, and run them.
You may find that one system is much more to your liking
than the other. However, be aware that there are a number
of desktop environments available. There might be more
for OpenSuse, I just don't know. There are some for
variations on Ubuntu, such a Xubuntu, Kubuntu, and even
Mint, which is a descendent, but not under Ubuntu control.

Well, it is to request to please point to point differentiate between
the two distros, if you can, just a request. Thanks.

Heh, that's kinda like discussing religion and politics. It's usually avoided. OpenSuse is rpm package based, and Ubuntu is deb package based. Both offer pretty much the same software.

Doug gave you great advice. If you're not handy with cd burning or have limited bandwidth, go to some place like on-disk.com and pay about $5 US for each distro's live CD and try them out to see what YOU like. For old and crusty machines Lubuntu is a good choice. I use Xubuntu as I like the XFCE desktop. Or maybe you'll like Unity with the standard Ubuntu install. It's hard for someone else to tell you what you'll like or why you should install which version of which distribution. But, by golly, you do have choices! Enjoy! Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html