Re: root user

2012/1/1 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@xxxxxxxxx>:
2012/1/1 Leila M <mech.loulou@xxxxxxxxx>:
hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 and I want to access the root account but I
cant do so using my password. I didn't specify any password during the
system installation process except the one I use to access my account.
any ideas about how to do so

There is no root account by default,

Correction: There is one, but it doesn't have a password, so you can't
log in the usual way.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

I think it's a safety thing, kind
of. Instead you are supposed to use sudo with your user password for
each action (you don't have to enter your password every time though).
There are tons of information about this out there, here's the first
that I found a minute ago:

http://www.debuntu.org/2006/04/24/34-ubuntu-default-root-password-or-the-sudo-way

It's old, but not much happened since then in this case.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

thanks in advance
Leila

You're welcome. Happy new year, by the way!

  • Re: Default root password for FreeBSD 4.2-RC2
    ... > able to login using the root account that came with the default. ... AFAIK there is no default root password. ... Kind regards ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: root user
    ... I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 and I want to access the root account but I ... cant do so using my password. ... I didn't specify any password during the ... Kind regards ...
    (Ubuntu)