Re: Ubuntu 11.10 performance

On 3 January 2012 07:50, Carsten Agger <agger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I can attest that the problem with Ubuntu One is not just you - I get
that too. I just removed it. I use Dropbox instead.

I have not seem the rest, though. But yes, as Ubuntu grows, it is indeed
getting slower.

Thanks for your response.

I am sorry that it was not more informative!

Yesterday, I installed Xubuntu and started using it instead of Unity, and
that improved the situation somewhat.

Yes, I can believe that!

There is still a problem, though, and Evolution and Firefox still take
unreasonably long time to launch. But it's clearly better with Xubuntu.

Still, I suspect the problem is probably kernel-related, i.e. bad support
for my hardware configuration. I still think that ordinary desktop
performance should never be a problem with a quad core CPU and 4 GB RAM.

I agree.

Questions:
* Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit install?
* Was this a clean install or an upgrade?

I suggest doing a clean install on a temp root partition. If your home
directory tree is on the same partition as root, I'd suggest moving it
to a separate one, then you can share it between multiple installs,
which makes testing /much/ easier.

With 4GB of RAM, I'd also suggest running 64-bit. Yes, PAE will let
you access it all, but in a slightly constrained way.

Email: lproven@xxxxxxxxx • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@xxxxxxxxxxx • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

  • Re: installing XP stalls with 9 min remaining
    ... > I have been attempting to do a clean install on a new hard ... > setup reverts to 39 minutes and the setup starts over at that point. ... > partitioning to less than 30GB per partition. ... I can't help you with the problem, but you've far too little RAM to run XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Stat King cause system issues for anyone? other diagnosis?
    ... running flawlessly for several weeks after a clean install of xp pro 2.6 ... Mhz Celeron with 512 ram. ... A day or so after the install of Stat King the system began an occasional ... The system's 'automatically restart' is cutting in. ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: OT-ish follow up to HDD problems
    ... Yep, I've lent folk machines of a lower spec than their own, with Linux ... that a relatively clean install of Ubuntu ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Problems installing XP pro
    ... I decided to exchange my brand new motherboard ... > I figured i would have to do a clean install (so i backed all data befor ... > then it rebooted and got stuck in a reboot loop ... > so I traded Ram with my kids (they have kingston which is recommended by ...