Re: fresh install ---blooming DVD drive not recognized AGAIN

On 01/13/2012 08:12 AM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Ric Moore<wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If anyone recalls, please clue me in.

I am in the cdrom group and added myself to DVD as well. Still no go. It
just won't recognize a movie DVD and yes, I have libdvdcss installed.

I suggest installing it from medibuntu repository, along with
non-free-codecs metapackage.

Been there, done that, but thanks anyway. Here's what I ~think~ is the nitty-gritty. I had an older IDE cable hooked up during install. This machine is a second backup machine until my ASUS MB comes back from ASUS. But, I want it working an on my local net for devel purposes, as a client machine as a test platform. DVD not playing DVD movies at all. It will accept a data DVD like the install DVD and automount it no prob. But, I found this:
ric@ima:~$ sudo hdparm /dev/sr0
[sudo] password for ric:

/dev/sr0:
multcount = 0 (off)
IO_support = 0 (default)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 256 (on)
HDIO_GETGEO failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
ric@ima:~$

What the heck?? No DMA, no nuttin'. So, I replaced the IDE cable with a newer fat one. But, the system still thinks I'm running the older cable:
3.544424] ata7.00: limited to UDMA/33 due to 40-wire cable
[ 3.572419] ata6.00: n_sectors mismatch 40130390 != 40132503
[ 3.572421] ata6.00: new n_sectors matches native, probably late HPA unlock, n_sectors updated
[ 3.572426] ata6: nv_mode_filter: 0x739f&0x739f->0x739f, BIOS=0x7000 (0xc000c500) ACPI=0x701f (60:900:0x11)
[ 3.576354] ata7.00: configured for UDMA/33
[ 3.588525] ata6.00: configured for UDMA/33
[ 3.588528] ata6: EH complete

Before I go exploding stuff, if anyone has a clue how to get the system to auto-refresh itself, I'd appreciate the clue!! Thanks, Ric

  • Re: Evo and Exchange
    ... FC3 and an upgrade from FC2 to FC3. ... I started EVO again, ... >> said was unsigned so wouldn't install it however this morning did yum update ... > DVDs are not CDs and you need different programs two write DVDs though DVD ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: A little help please!
    ... This so far was the best map to getting DVD media working I am going to ... Also I have the latest libdvdcss2 and libdvdcss2-dev installed. ... sudo aptitude install totem-xine ... Click either free or non-free depending on where the package you ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Vista Home Basic SP1 no luck
    ... DVD, but with backup/image/restore software on the HD. ... Windows update does not remind me anymore to install SP1, ... have really been stupid to get a Vista machine. ... restoration was some sort of restoration image on the hard drive ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Seeking Help
    ... As far as I am aware, the only REAL and painless way to install Ubuntu from ... a DVD is to buy the DVD from a place such as On-Disk.com (Ric! ... There is a well known and very well respected member of this mail list who has been promoting the idea that people who are having hassles with downloading the necessary files using the internet to buy a DVD - I repeat DVD - from the site I mentioned because it contained *all* the files necessary to install Ubuntu. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: 2 Macs: FW Target DM questions
    ... You can put the Intel Mini into target mode and copy data onto its hard ... and install from there or will it only install from a DVD? ... You have to boot from the DVD to do the installation. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)