Re: fresh install ---blooming DVD drive not recognized AGAIN <SOLVED> now broken again.

On 01/16/2012 10:43 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 17/01/12 11:52, Ric Moore wrote:
On 01/16/2012 04:50 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 16/01/12 17:58, Ric Moore wrote:
On 01/16/2012 12:03 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

2. probably much more important, is to run 'sudo grub-update' after
inserting the 'libata.force...' statement in the menu.lst .

I just did a locate and don't have a menu.lst. I thought that was
deprecated?? Thanks!! Ric

Looks like in your case it has been replaced by 'grub.cfg' - see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2.

See this??
ric@ima:~$ sudo hdparm /dev/sr0
[sudo] password for ric:

/dev/sr0:
multcount = 0 (off)
IO_support = 0 (default)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 256 (on)
HDIO_GETGEO failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
ric@ima:~$

Nothing changed!

...but after a FRESH install of Xubuntu 11.10 and I let it install
updates and the non-free bits, ~at install time~ instead of after,
plus kicking the script for libdvdcss2 into action,

DVD movies now auto-mount and play. What can I say... that worked. The
only difference is that this time, during install, I checked the boxes
to let it do the updates and install naughty bits as part of the
process, instead of me doing it by the seat of my pants afterwards.
Like Windows, I just had to dumb down.

Told you already: you are using the wrong distro O:-) .

I'll do my next install from a high-chair with a bib on, and not touch
a thing! <chuckles> Ric

That is where the ship you sail on is headed:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/tv-for-human-beings-ubuntu-linux/10109

Oh, you may also want to look at:

http://www.networkworld.com/slideshow/25030?source=NWWNLE_nlt_linux_2012-01-11

It went into Dead Parrot Mode again. When I first fired up, it ran "True Lies" like a champ. Then later it says it cannot decrypt it, but the True Lies directory is THERE in ~/.dvdcss !!
Now, it won't come up at all. So much for Ubuntu TV. I swear, I'm going to become Swiss and learn how to yodel. Ric