Re: fresh install ---blooming DVD drive not recognized AGAIN <SOLVED> now broken again.

On 19/01/12 10:54, Ric Moore wrote:
On 01/18/2012 07:53 AM, Johnny wrote:

Is he saying he has the 1 DVD on an IDE port and the 1 hard drive on a
SATA port? If so he need to just take the jumpers and remove them
shouldn't master and slave unless he has 2 things on I IDE cable. Think
he need to start thinking one of his parts is bad and stop thinking
software.
Good Luck sounds like you need it Johnny3 65+++

Oh no, both the harddrive and the DVD player are on 1 IDE ribbon now. But, due to the case design, the DVD has to go to the end of the ribbon, as it's stretched to it's limit now.

BUT!! We can put an end to this thread, my ASUS Motherboard is on it's way back, as of yesterday, I just found out, and I'll turn this brick MSI motherboard into a text mode "Hunt The Wumpus" server.I am NOT impressed with this board. I know darn well it'll play a stickin' DVD without any sweat. Thanks to everyone who tried to assist me, but I'm just giving up. It mounted "True Lies" once again and played it. Then refused to do it a second time. I can't take the mental exhaustion. I've been around the block, more than once, and this thing just beat me like I was a red-haired stepchild.

I shall henceforth go in peace. Ric

Awww, you give up too easily. What's happened to that Ric "Mohammad Ali" Moore that we all got to love? :-)

BC

--
It is in the nature of things that every time you try to avoid one danger you run into another.
Niccolo Machiavelli

  • Re: fresh install ---blooming DVD drive not recognized AGAIN now broken again.
    ... On 01/17/2012 05:36 PM, Ric Moore wrote: ... connectors are connected correctly. ... The harddrive is pin selected to "Master", the DVD is pin selected as "slave", the 80-wire IDE connector is set with the DVD in the middle and the harddrive to the end. ... You can then swap the darn things all over the place and not to worry about Master/Slave approach - which, BTW, is now politically 'mauvais gout' :-). ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: SATA & Software RAID and SATA issues.
    ... Ric Moore wrote: ... Your DVD should not show up as a SCSI hard drive. ... It worked, and I kinda ... Are you sure your SATA drive was not /dev/sda during the install? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: fresh install ---blooming DVD drive not recognized AGAIN now broken again.
    ... On 18/01/12 12:50, Ric Moore wrote: ... there with regards to the drives. ... The DVD sees a data disk, ... ATA/IDE devices and let the cable/controller work it out (end is master, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: DVD downloads?
    ... a DVD with my choice of packages? ... you the binary only (ie no source packages) deb files for one ... Provided that you live in North America, you could do what Ric Moore ... ..the Sin of Ignorance, ...
    (Ubuntu)