Re: Youtube/Firefox Foulup??

On 01/20/2012 09:23 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 21/01/12 14:11, John Graddy wrote:
On 01/20/2012 09:05 PM, John Graddy wrote:
On 01/20/2012 08:37 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 21/01/12 13:24, John Graddy wrote:
On 01/20/2012 06:50 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 21/01/12 02:10, John Graddy wrote:
On 01/19/2012 09:43 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
[pruned]

Look, I'll give you this link and see if this comes up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ft5Drv2Bw

(from the movie Natural Born Killers - listen to it and the lyrics.)

BC

The video that you sent did exactly the same as the video in my original email.

I disabled the plugin Flash 11.1 and both play just fine.

I don't understand! When I disable a plugin what does it do? Remove the plugin? Restore the previous version? I didn't thing youtube videos would work at all without the flashplayer installed.

Sounds like that there is a mix-up in which libflashplayer.so is being used by your Flashplayer.

In Firefox, type this in the URL box (the one where you type in, eg, www.memtest.org):

about:plugins

and a list of your plugins will be shown. Have a look at which Flashplayer version is installed and used by Firefox The latest is 11.1 r102. It will also be using the file libflashplayer.so. Now, go thru the full list of the plugins because there may be another version of Flashplayer still hanging around - make sure that it is or is not (I bet that there is v10 still hanging around - and this is also using *a* libflashplayer.so file). Check this out to start with.

What has happened in the past, at least at my end, is that after installing Flashplayer the symlink to point to the correct, latest, libflashplayer.so was not altered and the latest version of Flash was picking up the old libflashplayer.so and....naturally Flash would not work.

Check about:plugins to begin with.

BC

when I do the "about:plugins", I get:

application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl

What is that all about?

File formats (file extensions) used by Adobe.

What you need is the bit ABOVE this which shows which version of Flash you have installed.

BC
when I look at the list of all plugins, It appears that the only version of flash installed is 11.1 r102. That's the one that I disabled.

I re-enabled flashplayer, and, it is now working correctly.

Well there you go.

I have found that if you threaten a piece of software with either de-installation or worse it suddenly starts to work correctly. The little buggers understand plain English when they want to :-) .

BC

Thank you very much for all of your help. I have no idea why things suddenly started working. The result of all of this is that I disabled flashplayer and then re-enabled it. To the best of my knowledge, I didn't really do anything.

  • Re: Youtube/Firefox Foulup??
    ... I disabled the plugin Flash 11.1 and both play just fine. ... I didn't thing youtube videos would work at all without the flashplayer installed. ... What has happened in the past, at least at my end, is that after installing Flashplayer the symlink to point to the correct, latest, libflashplayer.so was not altered and the latest version of Flash was picking up the old libflashplayer.so and....naturally Flash would not work. ...
    (Ubuntu)
[...]
    ... The video that you sent did exactly the same as the video in my original email. ... I disabled the plugin Flash 11.1 and both play just fine. ... I didn't thing youtube videos would work at all without the flashplayer installed. ... What has happened in the past, at least at my end, is that after installing Flashplayer the symlink to point to the correct, latest, libflashplayer.so was not altered and the latest version of Flash was picking up the old libflashplayer.so and....naturally Flash would not work. ...
    (Ubuntu)