Re: Mounting Android Tablet

On 1 February 2012 21:44, Swapnil Bhartiya <swapnil.bhartiya@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/01/2012 12:41 PM, DEF wrote:

On Feb 1, 2012 11:54 AM, "Swapnil Bhartiya" <swapnil.bhartiya@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:swapnil.bhartiya@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

 > On 02/01/2012 11:45 AM, DEF wrote:
 >>
 >>
 >> On Feb 1, 2012 10:31 AM, "Swapnil Bhartiya"
<swapnil.bhartiya@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:swapnil.bhartiya@xxxxxxxxx>
 >> <mailto:swapnil.bhartiya@xxxxxxxxx

<mailto:swapnil.bhartiya@xxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:

 >> > Hi,
 >> >
 >> > I have Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet and I can't mount it on my Ubuntu
 >> system. When I connect it, all I see is a folder with numbers like
0000.
 >> There is no content in these folders. I did file a bug report with
gMPTP
 >> project but no progress as such. Is there any way to easily mount my
 >> tablet to Ubuntu and transfer data -- some of my users are also facing
 >> the similar problem.
 >> >
 >>
 >> Yes.
 >> First on your galaxy tablet: Settings --> Wireless and network --> USB
 >> settings(Set USB cconnection) --> Mass storage.
 >
 >
 > Galaxy 10.1 doesn't have the USB mount option.

Android 3.2

Swapnil

Which software version is it using.?

My Nexus S which runs on Android 4.0 has this option. Galaxy is using
MTP protocol which doesn't allow it to mount as USB storage device. I
can mount it on Windows though, but I don't use Windows. So, Ubuntu
should be able to mount as well.

 > Thanks.
 >
 >
 > --

I don't own one so can't test it but there appears to be 2 methods
that generally work for most people I've seen in a quick online
search.

1 - Install MTP - "sudo apt-get install mtp-tools" - a lot of users
advise this works and allows them to mount the device.
2 - Change the device to turn USB debugging on. This reportedly makes
it function as a mass storage device.

Short of getting my hands on one, which doesn't appear likely, let us
know those 2 options go.

--
Regards,

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)