Re: Needed fully functional [NOT 'Live'(sic)] Linux on USB stick - was [Re: Ubuntu on pendrive]

On 1 February 2012 03:56, Default User <hunguponcontent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 21:22, Liam Proven <lproven@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1 February 2012 01:39, Sam Sebastian <sebastiansam55@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
the problem with this is that the one time i did it, when i was really
new
to ubuntu/linux in general it install GRUB on the USB and the computer
would
not boot at all without having the USB stick plugged in

Please /bottom/ post on the list.

You have the problem the wrong way around here.

GRUB on the hard disk is the problem; GRUB on the USB  stick is what you
want.

If GRUB is on the hard disk *and it points to a Linux installation on
the hard disk*, no problem.

If GRUB is on the hard disk *and it points to a Linux installation on
the Flash drive*, then the machine will not boot if the Flash drive is
not connected.

If GRUB is on the Flash drive and it points to a Linux installation on
the Flash drive as well, no problem. The hard disk is not affected.

1) I only suggested FAT 32 since it works, but in the past I have had
difficulties writing iso's to USB thumb drives unless they were first
formatted FAT 32.  Also, in the past I recall reading instructions that
would often say to format using FAT 32.  Of course, the Ubuntu installation
program will allow the user to select whatever filesystem the want, and I do
not disagree with your recommendations.

But if you are /installing/ onto the USB key, and you're going to
pre-format it, then you might as well pre-format it with the
filesystem you're going to use on it. There is no point in formatting
it twice; you will just wear it out a little bit more for no reason at
all. Format with the FS you will /use/ then tell the installer /not/
to reformat it. Saves time & effort.

If you're going to make a LiveUSB with an ISO, then sure, use FAT32,
but that's a different kind of install. Takes less space, but it's
slower & you can't update it. & an OS without updates is a serious
liability.

2) I recently did an install of Ubuntu 11.10 on an 8gb flash drive.  IIRC, I
did:

apt-get clean
apt-get autoclean

but I did NOT do:

apt-get autoremove
apt-get purge

I ended up with only about 399mb free, not enough for my purposes.

That's why I said I didn't think 8gb would be enough.

Out of 8GB?! In one partition? You are doing something seriously
wrong, or adding one hell of a lot of extra apps. A full install of
Ubuntu, with all updates & all the optional restricted extras, should
take about 3 to 3½ gig.

3)  I just can't resist:
"I have a dream; that one day all of God's children will be judged by the
content of their character, not by whether they top-post or bottom post."

:-)

Feh. Destroy the top-posting heretics! Burn them! Burn them all! If
they send email in HTML, torture 'em a bit first, /pour encourager les
autres/!

Email: lproven@xxxxxxxxx • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@xxxxxxxxxxx • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884