Re: Needed fully functional [NOT 'Live'(sic)] Linux on USB stick - was [Re: Ubuntu on pendrive]

On 1 February 2012 03:56, Default User <hunguponcontent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 21:22, Liam Proven <lproven@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1 February 2012 01:39, Sam Sebastian <sebastiansam55@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
the problem with this is that the one time i did it, when i was really
new
to ubuntu/linux in general it install GRUB on the USB and the computer
would
not boot at all without having the USB stick plugged in

Please /bottom/ post on the list.

You have the problem the wrong way around here.

GRUB on the hard disk is the problem; GRUB on the USB  stick is what you
want.

If GRUB is on the hard disk *and it points to a Linux installation on
the hard disk*, no problem.

If GRUB is on the hard disk *and it points to a Linux installation on
the Flash drive*, then the machine will not boot if the Flash drive is
not connected.

If GRUB is on the Flash drive and it points to a Linux installation on
the Flash drive as well, no problem. The hard disk is not affected.

1) I only suggested FAT 32 since it works, but in the past I have had
difficulties writing iso's to USB thumb drives unless they were first
formatted FAT 32.  Also, in the past I recall reading instructions that
would often say to format using FAT 32.  Of course, the Ubuntu installation
program will allow the user to select whatever filesystem the want, and I do
not disagree with your recommendations.

But if you are /installing/ onto the USB key, and you're going to
pre-format it, then you might as well pre-format it with the
filesystem you're going to use on it. There is no point in formatting
it twice; you will just wear it out a little bit more for no reason at
all. Format with the FS you will /use/ then tell the installer /not/
to reformat it. Saves time & effort.

If you're going to make a LiveUSB with an ISO, then sure, use FAT32,
but that's a different kind of install. Takes less space, but it's
slower & you can't update it. & an OS without updates is a serious
liability.

2) I recently did an install of Ubuntu 11.10 on an 8gb flash drive.  IIRC, I
did:

apt-get clean
apt-get autoclean

but I did NOT do:

apt-get autoremove
apt-get purge

I ended up with only about 399mb free, not enough for my purposes.

That's why I said I didn't think 8gb would be enough.

Out of 8GB?! In one partition? You are doing something seriously
wrong, or adding one hell of a lot of extra apps. A full install of
Ubuntu, with all updates & all the optional restricted extras, should
take about 3 to 3½ gig.

3)  I just can't resist:
"I have a dream; that one day all of God's children will be judged by the
content of their character, not by whether they top-post or bottom post."

:-)

Feh. Destroy the top-posting heretics! Burn them! Burn them all! If
they send email in HTML, torture 'em a bit first, /pour encourager les
autres/!

Email: lproven@xxxxxxxxx • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@xxxxxxxxxxx • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

  • Re: Installing Fedora 6 prerelease on a USB disk [SOLVED] -> now a GRUB problem !
    ... Installing Linux on an USB disk ... and start the FC6 installation by typing "linux expert" at the boot prompt. ... and check the option that tells grub to install to the USB drive ...
    (Fedora)
  • Problem with Grub installing Xubuntu 12.04
    ... I revently got answers toa curious problem I had with the system of my wife (See mail:"reinstall ubuntu urgent"). ... It turned out to be a corrupt xubuntu 11.10 kernel mimicking hardware problems. ... But the second problem occurs now with Grub. ... OK installation went like a breeze. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Ubuntu live boot 12.10 with USB hangs
    ... I've been a good Ubuntu user since 11.4 on my 64bit Dell Inspiron N4010 ... made an upgrade on my existing installation and it just worked. ... because the USB live Ubuntu is not booting up and it hangs on ... The USB works perfectly with a Dell Latitude E6500 laptop, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: why Cant I install the grub on ubuntu 6.06?
    ... zhihang wang wrote: ... But there are some errors so that I can't install the grub ... So I have to boot to ubuntu from my ... Trying to correct errors that occured during installation with "fixes" ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: GRUB Loading error message
    ... I had installed Ubuntu 9.10 in the laptop via CD. ... installation my laptop restarted. ... A 'GRUB Loading' message appears and my laptops reboots by itself. ... I am unable to boot into both my Windows and Ubuntu anymore. ...
    (Ubuntu)