Re: moving data from home directory to home partition

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Default User <hunguponcontent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi!

I run Ubuntu 11.10, home user, single user setup, no lvm, nothing exotic.
For simplicity I have just 2 partitions:

/  (bootable, ext4)
linux-swap

So all of my data (except system and application-generated configuration
files, etc.) is in the /home directory of /.  I have heard a number of users
recommend a separate home partition, that it makes things easier when
updating or upgrading.

So could I just:
1) use the Ubuntu install routine from a "live" media to create a new,
separate home partition
2) use the Ubuntu install routine from a "live" media to mark the new
partition as "home"
3) reboot
4) move the data from /home to the new home partition
5) reboot again

Well, if I had to do that migration, I would:

Backup all my files I do not want to lose in case of failure, and then:

install and use gparted package, resize the root partition to leave
some empty space on hard disk, then create a new partition, create a
new ext4 filesystem on the new partition, edit /etc/fstab to have the
new partition mounted at /home directory on next boot, then I would
run

shutdown now

to enter single-user runlevel (you are the root user in that runlevel)
- or alternatively boot by choosing the option "Ubuntu, with Linux
3.0.0-15-generic (recovery mode)" and there choose the equivalent
options - or alternatively use a Live Ubuntu CD/DVD and become a
*root*

(no other user must be logged in, since you are going to move the
entire /home directory contents)

then mount the new partition in a temporary directory, move the
contents of /home directory to the temporary directory, unmount the
temporary directory, then reboot, and if nothing went wrong, you are
ready to go.

However, I think that there is no reason to do that for home user
installations, a separate home directory makes sense usually in a
server (usually without X.Org installed), with many users that you do
not trust environment.

In any case, I think it is better to leave it at least your next clean
installation of Ubuntu.

However, for home users I think it is not needed to have separate
/home partition. But you may wish to experiment, which is OK too.

Would that work?  Or should I just wait until 12.04 and do a fresh install
with a separate home partition then?

Then it is better, if you need to do it.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 46, Issue 194
    ... Vista (running ubuntu) ... Ubuntu Gaming/Vista Partition ... and lets you install, but it never completes. ... GTA San Andreas won't work on my laptop while running vista (Even though I ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How to Create Dual-Booting System
    ... partitioned and I accepted all the defaults that Ubuntu suggested. ... Well, if it where openSUSE, we would have guessed. ... following questions before you install another one next to it. ... make FAT32) Primary partition of around 20GB these days, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Bootin 4 OSes?
    ... Ubuntu, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and XP. ... Install XP First, or if it is installed, figure out how much room you ... Windows), set up your /Swap as a primary partition, then use the rest as ... I wanted to install OS/2 again / too but I am not sure anymore yet ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: help to install ubuntu
    ... > I got Ubuntu CD shipped by them and tried to install. ... If you are going to manually partition, it would help to know a bit more ... and Linux Swap with "partition magic". ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How to delete all partitions for a complete reinstall
    ... recovery CDs turns up to kill *only* the first partition, ... Sorry to ask this question in ubuntu list. ... During the XP install process you can delete all of your partitions ... partition in the new GRUB menu (shows on boot allowing you to choose ...
    (Ubuntu)