Re: cannot connect to internet on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 06:50:45PM +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
On 8 February 2012 18:27, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 04:19:08PM +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

.........snip..........

If he needs a newer kernel, how do you account for the many users of
10.04, me included, who are happily cavorting on the internet? Better to
check if his card is supported.

Now now, steady on.

Wireless cards especially - but sometimes wired Ethernet too - are an
especial problem for Linux, especially in notebooks. Many notebooks
have a tiny "mezzanine PCI" card with both wired & wireless on. Lots
are essentially Windows-only & drivers are a real pain.

It is /very/ common in my experience for an initial install not to be
able to drive a WLAN controller, but after an update for it to
"miraculously" start working. This especially applies if you can get
online via some other means, e.g. a wired or external connection, &
both run the update and run the Jockey proprietary-drivers-installer
tool.

Secondly, what many people don't realise is that 10.04 LTS has
backported versions of the kernels from the next 3 versions available
in the repositories.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,