Re: cannot connect to internet on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 06:50:45PM +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
On 8 February 2012 18:27, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 04:19:08PM +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

.........snip..........

If he needs a newer kernel, how do you account for the many users of
10.04, me included, who are happily cavorting on the internet? Better to
check if his card is supported.

Now now, steady on.

Wireless cards especially - but sometimes wired Ethernet too - are an
especial problem for Linux, especially in notebooks. Many notebooks
have a tiny "mezzanine PCI" card with both wired & wireless on. Lots
are essentially Windows-only & drivers are a real pain.

It is /very/ common in my experience for an initial install not to be
able to drive a WLAN controller, but after an update for it to
"miraculously" start working. This especially applies if you can get
online via some other means, e.g. a wired or external connection, &
both run the update and run the Jockey proprietary-drivers-installer
tool.

Secondly, what many people don't realise is that 10.04 LTS has
backported versions of the kernels from the next 3 versions available
in the repositories.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,

  • Re: SUSE 10
    ... > Fritz Box SL Wlan and get an IP Adress, ... or the Netgear MA301 PCI Card. ... kernel source for the running kernel available as you will be building a ... Configuration successful. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • allocation failures with CBQ bandwidth limiting & high net use (was Re: Filesystem kernel hangup
    ... limiting, queuing and prioritization, *and* high network use (using ... "full_kernel_output" file for an idea of what kernel messages I was ... My IRQ is shared with that above TV card, ... kernel messages for about two hours from boot to crash). ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • athlon-xp + fakeraid regression
    ... The build completes fine, the kernel boots fine, the machine will seem to be fine as long as it remains quiescent. ... At the beginning, just after hitting enter on the make command, one of the ad4 disk light goes on solid for several seconds. ... There is a well known thing where these cheap pata fakeraid cards will try to do ata133 if the drive says it can, when really, even if he drives are new ata133 drives and the cables are new and short and shielded, you still shouldn't try to do ata133 since the spec is too tight and you'll just get bit errors or other failures. ... The fix is use ata100 somehow, either by disabling dma entirely in loader.conf (since you have no more selective option there, and the raid card bios never has an option for controlling pio/dma mode like motherboard bios's have) and then use atacontrol in rc.early to set udma5, or by using disks that can only do ata100 and only advertise ata100 to the controller. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Kdesud locking up, JMicron card reader not working, USB 3 Controller stops working after resumin
    ... especially when running Synaptics (but it happened ... You mean that when you insert a card, ... should go away in the next kernel releases. ... There are already some bug reports opened for this problem in Debian BTS ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: modem works in sarge but not etch or lenny
    ... When I ran sarge with the modem card physically removed, ... I don't really understand the structure of the kernel so I don't ... It worked in Sarge but I have not been able to get it to work in my ...
    (Debian-User)