Re: Boot Ubuntu from iPod (HDD based.)

On 02/14/2012 07:45 AM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
Dave Woyciesjes wrote:

Tossing around an idea for my next project...
I have a 30GB iPod 5th generation.
I was wondering if it's possible to get Ubuntu to boot from it, and
still have iTunes use it as normal (with reduced capacity, of course)

Ubuntu only supports arm7 and x86. I very much doubt the iPod runs
either of those I'm afraid. Even that aside, it's rather peculiar
hardware. Rockbox might be a better place to start.

Actually, what I meant (and not stated clearly) is to use the iPod as an external HDD for an Intel computer to boot from.
So far, no dice. I installed using Startup disk creator...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy on the internet.

  • Re: Ubuntu/Kubuntu on Mac G5.
    ... Yaboot simply can't load OS X. it tries, and the screen flickers, but nothing happens. ... I'm quite puzzled by why OSX won't boot. ... it says that the line beginning "macosx=" should give the open firmware or unix device path to the OSX boot partition. ... You can use the mouse to select your OSX or your Ubuntu drive, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Restore /boot? (wiped out by ubuntu install)
    ... ubuntu *insisted* on ... The other choice was to use the /boot partition on /dev/sda which was also in use by fc 6. ... create a new partition where you can boot ubuntu from. ... Since both the fc 6 on sda and f8 installed on sdb are lvm based, creating a new partition would require wiping the drive, I think, Instead I had created some new LogVol's on the copious free space of 500G sdb for ubuntu where it installed OK previously. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit installed along onto Pre-Installed Windows 8 System Woes (EFI related)
    ... Ubuntu 12.10 _64 bit_ on USB flahs will boot in UEFI mode on a sane ... it will install and run with Secure Boot ON - ... Manually edited the 40_custom file under the grub.d folder to add an entry for Windows 8 with the UUID of the Window's drives boot partition. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Booting from LiveCD
    ... I booted into OpenFirmware and ... The last bit - \install\yaboot- is the path to the install program on ... I'm a complete tyro at linux but I got a version up and running on my ... I tried Ubuntu and had pretty much the same problem you have. ...
    (comp.os.linux.powerpc)
  • Another happy Ubuntu user
    ... Can't boot any Ubuntu Live CD! ... Verifying disc integrity ... I've even tried using my brother's graphics card (a higher end Radeon, ...