Re: Plugged in subwoofer and lost all sound

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 14:30, Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/20/2012 02:09 PM, Wade Smart wrote:

A friend gave me his older Altec Lancing subwoofer
after getting a new one. I plugged it into my sub port
but had no sound. I went to Sound Preferences and
under the hardware tab, highlighted my Internal
Audio card and in the Settings for the selected device
below changed from Analog Stereo Duplex to
Analog Surround 5.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input.
Nothing happened. After trying several of the choices
I lost sound all together.

I rebooted and noticed I heard the ubuntu start up
sound. I went back into the Sound Preferences and
under Sound Effects under Sound Theme I changed
from Ubuntu to No sound and back, I can hear the
sounds there. But when you try to play youtube or
or a cd or anything else with sound - there is no
sound at all.

Do alsmixer first. Then the pulse audio pavucontrol second. It should be
detected. Is that woofer self powered? Or is it just a speaker in an
enclosure? If the rest of your speakers are self powered (built in amp) then
the woofer would probably have to be as well ...but I'm guessing there. My
computer with the MSI motherboard won't auto select it's builtin audio outs
to pre-amp mode. It's trying to power my speakers like they have no amps and
buzzes like crazy. POS. No problems with the same surround sound set up with
my ASUS board. Ric

It is self powered.
I unplugged the sub, restarted my computer, chose
Analog Surround 4.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input
and my normal speakers worked again.
However, the sub is not working.

I have a Shuttle pc and some older posts in various
forums say they got theirs running but... it didnt say
how.

In out Sound preferences Output tab for Internal Sound
the settings show a Subwoofer and its set to max through
there is no sound at all.

I installed alsamixer. It doesnt show anything for the sub.
I installed pavucontrol and it crashes almost immediately
with "Connection failed: Connection Terminated". It does
show the sub and its set to 94% default with the other
speakers.

Oh, Im on Ubuntu 10.04.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

  • Re: More strange LCD distortion ...
    ... door painting for us in the house, ... Tonight, I'm watching some TV, and the sound is 'wrong'. ... firing 150 WRMS Kenwood 12" sub thats virtually indestructable ... I can't recall ever using the int speakers on my Pana 51". ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Ooerr!
    ... starts flashin little red lights. ... If I hadn't a fireplace wot I hfr for fires, I had a virtual cyna of hfvat the horn shape of the flue as a sub, with a big driver where the chimblypot is. ... I've not got the room, but I'm using the system for mixing sound for sale, so I need a guaranteed flattish response, and all the sites about the Voigt speakers are remarkably heavy on "It sounds really nice", but very light on figures. ...
    (uk.rec.sheds)
  • Re: Looking for $500-$1000 Surround Sound System for HDTV
    ... I have a 7.1 Yamaha receiver and am looking for 5.1 speakers. ... I prefer something small but with good sound and something that I can ... Great sound by themselves, better with the sub, doubtful I'll ever ... small as Bose cubes or the fronts & surrounds of the micra 6 system. ...
    (rec.audio.misc)
  • Re: car audio advice
    ... The only significant problem is that the standard fit speakers are ... Complement the whole thing with a small sub because anything fitted ... your music to sound like the bass player is taking an extended holiday, ... You can get door speakers to play really deep if you know what ...
    (uk.rec.cars.modifications)
  • Re: concrete tube subwoofer report (long)
    ... I have to reach behind the sub to adjust ... which I adjust from the front for each CD as I always have. ... dial in the right sound for each CD." ... the amp was a Parts Express 25W build in subwoofer amp, ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)