Re: Ping: Liam re: Newer kernel backports for 10.04

On 02/20/2012 11:55 PM, Jeff G. wrote:
On 02/15/2012 08:24 AM, Liam Proven wrote in another thread:
> If you're still running "Lucid", 10.04, and are having driver problems
> or something, there are now 3 different newer kernels available.

<snip>

> If you look in Synaptic (or the package manager of your choice), you
> should see (for example):
>
> linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty
>
> and the matching linux-image-generic-pae-backport-natty and
> linux-image-server-backport-natty.

Long story short:

Running U 10.04 - with the last 2 kernel upgrades, my old nVidia card
started losing contact - losing high graphic effects settings regularly.
Best I could figure, problem was either GTK, compiz, my driver install
in the kernel (s) or 1 of a few bugs.
So for giggles, I went and installed the 3.0 kernel - it would only boot
into low graphic mode. So I went for the latest nv 96 from their site
(manual) which complained a few times but installed,

lsmod shows nvidia being used by 22

jeff@jeff-desktop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX
420] (rev a3)

I have nvidia.ko in /lib/modules/3.0.0-15-generic/kernel/drivers/video/

Using xfce, graphics seem fine - have purged compiz for xfwm.

xorg says
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"

Jockey can't detect the driver at all - do I need to worry about that?

Run nvidia-settings. Set up your video specs, click on whatever options you feel you need to use, then click on the save configuration button to save the entire /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. You should have a lot more in that file than you showed. That completes the install. With that new kernel you probably need to to a serious update to your system as well. Then reboot and see what you have. Ric