Re: software install problem perl module

Check your coding and compiler. I am not familiar with Perl as much as C++.
Chris

Sent from my iPod

On Feb 22, 2012, at 4:40 AM, CJ Tres <ctres@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 02/21/2012 06:06 PM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
CJ Tres wrote:

On 02/21/2012 05:32 PM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
CJ Tres wrote:

Attempting to install a software I get an error that the maintainer
tells me indicates that "it needs the Perl module 'Std::Class'"

Googling I found nothing helpful, at least as near as I can tell
not being a programmer.
Anyone have a clue?

If I do

apt-cache search perl std class

"Unable to locate libstd-class-std-perl"

What do you get if you do an apt-cache search for it? Which version of
Ubuntu are you running? This is 12.04 I'm on now, so it's possible it's
simply not in older versions.

This is Natty.

texlive-latex-extra - TeX Live: LaTeX supplementary packages
libclass-std-perl - Support for creating standard "inside-out" classes
libclass-std-utils-perl - Utility subroutines for building "inside-out" objects
libproc-reliable-perl - Perl module to run external processes reliably

You can install it through cpanminus (which is a CPAN client), which
will install into the environment of the Perl which runs it (so if you
just run it, you'll have it on your system Perl). You're not likely to
cause any problems since it's not available in the repositories for you
(and so nothing's assuming the repo version).

https://github.com/miyagawa/cpanminus
briefly explains how to install cpanminus and then the module you want.

Generally, you need to install cpanminus:
curl -L http://cpanmin.us | perl - --sudo App::cpanminus

And then the module:
cpanm Std::Class

Ah well... I thought I might learn something but according to the
maintainer, it's an obscure and not commonly installed module and
thought it might be a successful work around if I could find the
package and install it.

If it's on the CPAN you can install it, and it is there:
https://metacpan.org/module/Class::Std
So you *could* download that tarball, extract it and then follow the
instructions in the INSTALL file, but you'll not get any dependency
resolution that way. Cpanminus (and, to a cruder extent, the 'standard'
CPAN shell in Perl) will deal with the dependencies for you.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind for future reference.
The developer is adding that module and letting me know when the new version is available so I don't need to mess with it for now.
Thanks again.

  • Re: Installing DBD::File via CPAN
    ... Do you use 'UNINST=1' in the build options for CPAN? ... >> Did you build Perl from source, or install via a RPM or binary distro? ... >>> sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • RE: Installing DBD::File via CPAN
    ... Subject: Installing DBD::File via CPAN ... This is Perl 5.8.7 ... ReadLine support available (try 'install Bundle::CPAN') ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • Re: attempt to build 64 bit on Solaris fails
    ... > libraries needed to link with a 64-bit Tk. ... We were running a 32-bit version of Perl ... > Each section below is a summary of the commands used to install it. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.tk)
  • Installing DBD::File via CPAN
    ... This is Perl 5.8.7 ... cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation ... ReadLine support available (try 'install Bundle::CPAN') ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • RE: Installing DBD::File via CPAN
    ... I built this directly from source. ... > Did you build Perl from source, or install via a RPM or binary distro? ... > CPAN module so I wasn't expecting to get myself confused with multiple ...
    (perl.dbi.users)