Re: Creating a new ARM/AVR platform

On 29 February 2012 14:25, Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 29 Feb 2012, at 14:05, Steve Flynn wrote:

You sure you want to port the kernel to ARM? It is not trivial... and
there isn't a "guide" on how to do it. Would you not be better off using
the existing ARM port which Russell King is/was working on?

Is there any information about this port?
our other option is an Intel Atom processor, would you recommend this?

Check out http://www.debian.org/ports/arm/ for an existing port of the
kernel to an ARM processor. ARM processors run a completely different
instruction set to the ubiquitous Intel instruction set, in the same way
that PowerPC chips are entirely different. Performnig a port is a complex
undertaking and can easily run into thousands of man hours, so unless you
have the skill, knowledge and time I'd strongly recommend looking for an
existing port.

Intel Atom processors run the standard intel instruction set, so you can
just drop the kernel straight onto it. No porting needed. As such, unless
you really, REALLY need the reduced power consumption you'd get from using
an ARM chip, I'd strongly recommend you elect to go down the Atom route for
no reason other than you've just saved yourself a lot of work.

--
Steve

When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many people
suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

  • Re: [OT] Architectures, was: Re: What is more important now, VMS software or hardware?
    ... Given this VSI statement, ARM and MIPS aren't in the VMS context. ... each successive port the volume decreases. ... the new architecture specific code to be plugged into it's own slot ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Would the Pandora be a good target for RISC OS?
    ... this group regard a port to new ARM-based hardware as the wrong way to ... and expensive ARM hardware evaporates. ... developing RISC OS as a desktop OS this makes perfect sense. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.misc)
  • WINCE on ARM PB926:newbie question
    ... I am new to winCe and need to port the os onto ARM PB926EJ-s board. ... I am using the MAINSTONEII BSP as the refernce BSP. ... "hello world" project and built it.Got an exe and bin file. ...
  • WINCE on ARM PB926:newbie question
    ... I am new to winCe and need to port the os onto ARM PB926EJ-s board. ... I am using the MAINSTONEII BSP as the refernce BSP. ... "hello world" project and built it.Got an exe and bin file. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Reference count issue with uart_close() on 2.6.16-2.6.20
    ... After that the serial port is no longer usable no matter what. ... Please find my kernel config and dmesg output below. ... # ACPI Support ... # PCI Hotplug Support ...
    (Linux-Kernel)