Re: Automatically mounting all volumes at boot

On 6 March 2012 20:16, Rigved Rakshit <r.phate@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm happy enough to do that, but I'd rather have an answer to my
original, more general question:

Is it possible to have Ubuntu mount all visible filesystems
automatically on boot?

Yes, it is possible.

Possible, yes.  But I can't tell you how off the top of my head and a quick
google search did not find an appropriate script.

No, I know that; I searched before asking.

And probably not what you want anyhow.

Er, yes, it is, or else I would not have asked for it.

Assuming your typical use case for this disk is to access the contents via a
desktop GUI, you need only modify Ubuntu so that the console user (that,
someone who is logged in from the physical computer screen/keyboard/mouse
rather than network) has permission to mount internal drives.

No, not really!

I can mount drives from the GUI, but that is no help with (for
example) Dropbox, which will not start because my shared Dropbox
volume is not accessible at login.

Your problem is of permissions. Auto-mount the vfat system normally using fstab (whichever options you require or defaults). Then, change the permissions on the folder as such:

It is not a permissions issue. I can mount the drive just fine from
the command line or the GUI.

I do not want *just* this drive mounted. I want *all* drives mounted,
at boot, before X loads and before I login.

Email: lproven@xxxxxxxxx • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@xxxxxxxxxxx • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

  • netbook remix 9.04 -- /home not always mounted
    ... The release candidate of Ubuntu 9.04 was looking pretty sweet, ... decided to take the plunge and installed the netbook remix on my eeepc ... The actual error message produced by mount indicates that the relevant ... if I interrupt the boot process (using the "break=top" boot ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: mounting vfat partition on boot up
    ... Can somone point me to a link or howto going in the opposite direction ... >> Just one question though, when i mount as a normal user, the permissions ... I need to mount it with these ... >> Now when i try it linux wont even boot. ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Ubuntu Live CD to the rescue
    ... My niece brought her thoroughly trashed Dell laptop with XP home over to me because it wouldn't boot up. ... I decided I didn't have a couple of days to spend trying to get the old install to run, so I downloaded the Ultimate Windows Boot CD so I could recover the files. ... So I burned an Ubuntu Live CD and much to my delight, it came right up, network and all. ... I was able to mount the ntfs volume, mount a share on my own computer, and transfer all the data across the network. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Cant read Linux CDs.
    ... Ubuntu, Knoppix, etc., it won't mount. ... IBM Windoze recovery disc, which does boot. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Cant read Linux CDs.