Re: RAID Lv 1: Grub fails to install!

Rigved Rakshit wrote:

My friend also has a similar problem. His laptop came with fakeRAID,
with the drivers installed in Windows. This fakeRAID setup can be
controlled via BIOS. The solution suggested in this thread requires
installing Linux using mdadm. But, will that cause a problem with the
Windows install? My friend does not want to lose his original Windows
install. Is there a way to install Ubuntu to such a system?

Its effect on his Windows install depends upon his Windows set up.
Windows wont be able to use the md raid or the volumes in it (in much
the same way as it can't use the ext volumes created by a normal Linux
install).

In short, if the raid controller isn't supported by Linux there's not a
lot you can do to make it work. You may find that it can be made to
work with a hand-compiled kernel module, but that is a bit more tricky
than simply apt-get installing it, and it's genrally accepted that
filesystem interaction isn't somewhere to experiment.

--
Avi

  • >>>> INSTALL LINUX <<<<
    ... Linux Http Install Syntax ... Install Linux On Usb In Windows ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: Flash mob in Maryland on tape
    ... I still haven't got Windows 7 set up enough to ... something I thought was going to install MusicMatch ... Get a CD or USB flash with Linux Live on it! ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: eMachines OEM XP woes - time to buy $tandard?
    ... >>> under Windoze. ... Let's say one wants to install NVU. ... Now show how much easier it is to install MS Office on Linux than ... Windows OS's from Win3.1 to Windows 2003 Server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: bad experience with Suse 9.1 on Inspiron 8200
    ... > it is an M$ bug, such technicalities are irrelevant to the end user. ... :-) Windows has ... work as long as they work, trying to install a nitrous ... Linux are at least a *little* bit curious about how their computer works ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Subject: Re: Linux sucks?
    ... > the applications I run in my field do not run on Linux. ... I have cygwin on Windows ... so Windows users only hit this rarely at install. ... XP users hit this when they add hardware and the 'automatic ...
    (Fedora)