Re: kernel 3.0.0-13-generic seems to be last one that works on my ASUS laptop

On 12 March 2012 14:58, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Liam Proven wrote:

.> On 12 March 2012 12:11, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

 i have an ASUS 64-bit G74S laptop for which the most recent kernel
that boots properly seems to be 3.0.0-13-generic.  anything after
that, once i select it during grub, seems to hang the system almost
immediately (no HD activity, black screen).

 i also hand-built a "git clone"d kernel from the corresponding
config file and, annoyingly, that also hung, so i'm back to the
3.0.0-13-generic release.

 i'm about to do more experimenting, but i'm open to suggestions.

Check the machine's BIOS is the most current available.

  it *appears* that this is the problem:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lvm2/+bug/802626

 and, sure enough, that was the problem and upgrading to packages
from oneiric-proposed solved it.  there is absolutely no way i would
have ever figured that out for myself.

Just come back to this list after a couple of days off.

Gosh. Well, I'm glad that you got there, and that my pointer was at
least of /some/ help!

I must admit, I think you're brave to reFlash a BIOS from Linux. I've
never tried that - I'd use a DOS boot CD/USB stick/etc these days,
since floppies are disappearing.

Mind you, doing it from Windows 7 on my Toshiba Satellite went wrong
in December and bricked the machine. I'm still trying to find a way to
recover from that. :¬(

Email: lproven@xxxxxxxxx • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@xxxxxxxxxxx • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

  • Re: APIC problem report
    ... I found a problem with APIC on a desktop PC equipped with Asus' M2N, running the manufacturer's AMI BIOS - version 0803. ... 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC" resulting in a kernel panic. ... The kernel ignores ACPI timer overrides on NVIDIA chipsets since they have historically been broken, however in later BIOS versions this has been fixed and the override is now apparently required for the 8254 timer to function properly through the IO-APIC. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: kernel 3.0.0-13-generic seems to be last one that works on my ASUS laptop
    ... On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Robert P. J. Day wrote: ...  i have an ASUS 64-bit G74S laptop for which the most recent kernel ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: APIC problem report
    ... I found a problem with APIC on a desktop PC equipped with Asus' M2N, ... Try booting with acpi_use_timer_override kernel parameter. ... Deluxe with the latest 1805 BIOS. ... The kernel ignores ACPI timer ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: kernel 3.0.0-13-generic seems to be last one that works on my ASUS laptop
    ...  i have an ASUS 64-bit G74S laptop for which the most recent kernel ... Check the machine's BIOS is the most current available. ... It's usually a good thing to upgrade, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: kernel 3.0.0-13-generic seems to be last one that works on my ASUS laptop
    ...  i have an ASUS 64-bit G74S laptop for which the most recent kernel ... Check the machine's BIOS is the most current available. ...  and, sure enough, that was the problem and upgrading to packages ...
    (Ubuntu)