Re: kernel 3.0.0-13-generic seems to be last one that works on my ASUS laptop

On 12 March 2012 14:58, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Liam Proven wrote:

.> On 12 March 2012 12:11, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

 i have an ASUS 64-bit G74S laptop for which the most recent kernel
that boots properly seems to be 3.0.0-13-generic.  anything after
that, once i select it during grub, seems to hang the system almost
immediately (no HD activity, black screen).

 i also hand-built a "git clone"d kernel from the corresponding
config file and, annoyingly, that also hung, so i'm back to the
3.0.0-13-generic release.

 i'm about to do more experimenting, but i'm open to suggestions.

Check the machine's BIOS is the most current available.

  it *appears* that this is the problem:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lvm2/+bug/802626

 and, sure enough, that was the problem and upgrading to packages
from oneiric-proposed solved it.  there is absolutely no way i would
have ever figured that out for myself.

Just come back to this list after a couple of days off.

Gosh. Well, I'm glad that you got there, and that my pointer was at
least of /some/ help!

I must admit, I think you're brave to reFlash a BIOS from Linux. I've
never tried that - I'd use a DOS boot CD/USB stick/etc these days,
since floppies are disappearing.

Mind you, doing it from Windows 7 on my Toshiba Satellite went wrong
in December and bricked the machine. I'm still trying to find a way to
recover from that. :¬(

Email: lproven@xxxxxxxxx • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@xxxxxxxxxxx • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884