Re: Login failure after restart. Every time.

On 23 March 2012 03:01, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I booted from a live disk and ran it manually.  How else could I
insert the -f switch?
I'm not stupid enough to fsck a mounted disk, and it won't remount RO.

That should be absolutely fine.

However, for future reference, the way to get Linux to do an fsck on a
volume at boot-time is:

sudo touch /forcefsck

... and repeat this for all filesystems. (Not swap - that's not an FS.)

So if / was on one partition, say, sda1 but /home was on /sda5 and
swap on /sda6, you'd want to do:

sudo touch /home/forcefsck

... as well.

If the kernel finds a file called "forcefsck" in the root directory of
a FS as it mounts it, it runs `fsck -f` on it before mounting it. Then
it removes the file so it doesn't happen next time.

It's the equivalent of issuing:

chkdsk c: /f

on Windows and then replying "y" to the prompt to do it on the next restart.

Email: lproven@xxxxxxxxx • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@xxxxxxxxxxx • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

  • Re: [opensuse] Cant boot 10.3 after 11.0 install -No ideas ? Please?
    ... I shutdown and then did an fsck on the entire filesystem. ... Here are two other strange messages which might help in analyzing this ... I would boot from a live disk and fsck the drive partition that ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Login failure after restart. Every time.
    ... When you boot the system does the fsck check automatically. ... I booted from a live disk and ran it manually. ... Kevin O'Gorman, PhD ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Repeatable crash with 5.4-p1-RELEASE and SMP
    ... I can't speak to the crash itself, but regarding swap and cores: ... so you have to configure swap before you fsck. ... you can't write the core dump to the file system until it has ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: swapon vs savecore dilemma
    ... > It looks like we may need to rethink the way swap is mounted at boot time ... > is available if the root fsck needs it. ... > Without crashdumps debugging gets kind of interesting. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: BigDisk project: du(1) 64bit clean.
    ... > Agreed but VM is different to physical RAM. ... > automatically may not have sufficient free space to do an fsck. ... the most likely location for free space is swap. ...
    (freebsd-arch)