Re: update killed my sound AGAIN!!!

Re 'Package linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-40-generic not available', I have
been informed that this package is no longer required or provided: the informer
has updated the Ubuntu Sound Troubleshooting webpage:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure

However, alsamixer (as instructed to use on this webpage) does not work
john@JohnDesktop:~$ alsamixer
cannot load mixer controls: Invalid argument

I have also tried Gnome alsamixer & AlsaMixerGUI with the following results:

Gnome Alsamixer gave:
john@JohnDesktop:~$ gnome-alsamixer

(gnome-alsamixer:4407): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_instance_get_private:
assertion `instance != NULL && instance->g_class != NULL' failed

(gnome-alsamixer:4407): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_instance_get_private:
assertion `instance != NULL && instance->g_class != NULL' failed
Segmentation fault

AlsaMixerGUI gave a popup displaying:"Function snd_mixer_load filed: invalid
argument".

PS this is documented in Launchpad Ubuntu bug 971014 & question 192344.

  • Re: No Sound
    ... Ubuntu does recognize that I have a sound card and ... As for that alsamixer user thing, you mind explaining that a little ... installed Ubuntu 7 using a text version installer. ... If your card is actually hw:0, you may find more sliders, and perhaps controls ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Audigy sound card - no sound
    ... but I have no sound in Ubuntu 7.10 ... With one machine which has an original Audigy card, ... Both alsamixer and alsamixer-gui show master, ... Naomi's Fancy myspace: http://www.myspace.com/naomisfancy/ ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: where is alsaconf?
    ... Ops, maybe i installed 1.0.16, which is already the ubuntu version :-) ... alsamixer you should see a reference to a chipset/codec. ... which will load snd-hda-intel using a specific model option. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: max volume setting wont "stick"
    ... Ubuntu 10.10, the sound applet on the task bar. ... If you set alsamixer to 50%, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: how to disable pulseaudio
    ... At least on Ubuntu, PA should have been an add-on ... Regarding your question of alsamixer with pulseaudio, ... control of sound hardware. ... BTW, when pulse audio is running, is alsamixer (the console level ...
    (Ubuntu)