Re: Is nouveau default nvidia driver?

On 04/05/2012 02:23 AM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
Art Edwards wrote:

After an update from a version with the proprietary driver, I found
nouveau was there instead. Is the the ubuntu policy?

Well, Ubuntu policy is to prefer nouvau to proprietary, but not to
replace one with the other without your say-so.

What did you upgrade? It could be that the proprietary driver wasn't
compatible with one of the new things and so you've fallen back to
noveau.

This was a dist-upgrade from maverick to natty. I should point out that
nouveau rendered the system unusable for the better part of a day, on a
day I couldn't afford to lose. When I finally was able to diagnose the
problem, I was able to re-install the nvidia driver without removing any
other packages. Given the persistent bugs in nouveau, perhaps the
system should fall back to the nv driver.