Re: Ubuntu 11.10 can't login within the gui window after update

On Sun, 2012-04-08 at 20:21 -0700, sam wrote:
Ubuntu 11.10 can't login within the gui window after update.

Yes, I can login through the command line (Alt+Ctrl+F1). but
unfortunately, every time I plug my password to the password field
(gui window) and hit enter it does recognize and accept my password
then splash black screen appear, then go back to the window and ask me
for the password again.

You need more information.

Can you log in to a guest session? If so, what is your standard desktop?
(typically you can click the cog on the login window) and what happens
if you try something else (Gnome, Ubuntu2D)?

You could also try looking at /var/log/* to see if you can find any
problems.

--
John D Lamb

  • Re: Kerberos
    ... client machines, with the same result each time. ... The logs for the non-prompted login show: ... first) and not(with a window opening). ... Microsoft Online Community Support ...
  • Re: Shutdown, No Login/Logout Window
    ... I have problems Log Out> End Session, takes me straight to the 'shell' ... login window and goes right back to Desktop of last user. ... If I reboot computer I get the "Login Window" ...
    (Fedora)
  • GUI Questions from a newbie
    ... What I have been trying was to make a main window and dynamically update is ... I can build the main window and add the login pane but am unable to remove ... Container mainPane; ... LogPane logPane; ...
    (comp.lang.java.gui)
  • Upgrade from RHEL3 to RHEL5 - desktop
    ... Ctl-Alt-Bksp gets me back to the login window, ... If I am logged in as root, I can make new desktop icons by dragging from ... The existing three icons work, ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)
  • Re: A Bug in Remote Desktop Connection of Windows Server 2003 R2
    ... There are two servers. ... I login to the servers with "remote ... the current window loses focus; ... the system turns to another window; ...