Server needs anti-virus?

I run a ubuntu (10.04) server on my LAN and generally its off and does not
usually do anything while its on except for me to mess around with samba
and cups and the like. I was told that it would be a good idea for me to
put some kind of anti virus on it. I was wondering if this is necessary?
There are 3-4 other windows 7 computers on the network. And all of them
have anti-virus installed on them (Norton IIRC)

And what about a general linux desktop computer, I know that there are
*some* viruses out there for linux but the most common reason that I'm
cited for putting anti-virus on it is to stop it from giving viruses to the
other computers in the network.

And if so which anti-virus would you recommend?

Thanks,
Sam Sebastian

  • Re: Exporting PM7 file to something useful on OS9?
    ... Not a /lot/ easier than with MacOS X, but it's hard to see how anyone ... since stuck XP and Ubuntu on it, defaulting to Ubuntu and set him up ... I suspect your best bet would be to get him educated about computers, ... If he's using MacOS 9, you should get him sorted out with the Launcher, ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Nvidia help pls ...
    ... I sure was interested in computers but I had trouble with relating to ... again) that listed a ton of different Ubuntu Nvidia items to dl. ... I'm hoping that following the above install page is all I need. ... I don't know as I haven't had luck dl from repositories even using ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: [OT] Video Driver box
    ... At this point I have 4 computers - a linux file server, ... How's Ubuntu working out for ya? ... Isn't the whole point of a file server to do file storage? ...
    (rec.arts.anime.misc)
  • Re: WINSXS Folder is HUGE!
    ... Who in their right mind would want to use an INFERIOR OS like Ubuntu ... you'll see more Americans wising up. ... Americans buy their computers from Best Buy and Walmart or order a Dell. ...
  • Bad News for "news.cn99.com" AKA "news.yaako.com" have been paralysed by a faulty anti-virus upd
    ... Millions of Chinese computers may have been paralysed by a faulty anti- ... the world's largest security software ... An automatic update to the Chinese version of the Norton anti-virus ... The China Daily said California-based Symantec is one of the major ...
    (soc.culture.china)