Re: Ubuntu 12.04: Compiz Segfault

On 29 April 2012 18:51, Lawrence Houston <ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ubuntu Users:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012, Colin Law wrote:

On 29 April 2012 15:00, Lawrence Houston <ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012, Ric Moore wrote:

On 04/28/2012 11:06 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Lawrence Houston
<ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

After upgrading from Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu 12.04 the 3D Unity
Interface
NO
longer works, therefore I am restricted to using the 2D Interface.
Syslog is
reporting Compiz Segfaults, with compiz.desktop respawning too
quickly...
 After the Coloured Background appears, that is wiped clean leaving a
"Blank" Screen...  Very occasionally a Compiz Error pops up, although
that
disappears before I have time to read or interact with it...

Graphics Card is an NVIDIA GeForce 6200 and I had the same "Problem"
with
either of the currently available NVIDIA Drivers installed...

Any IDEAs what is going "Wrong"???

Have you run computer janitor yet to clean up after the upgrade? Ric

Just ran Computer Janitor, but I still can NOT run Unity in the 3D Mode.

Try, in a terminal running
unity --reset
and log out and in again.
This should reset compiz settings which may help.  If still no joy see
what happens if you login as a different user.  That may indicate
whether it is a system wide problem or a problem with the users
config.

Running "unity --reset" from a Terminal still does NOT allow me to run Unity
in its 3D Mode...  I had already tried creating a "New" Account to see if
there might have been some settings hanging around from when I last ran
Unity 3D under Ubuntu 11.10, although there was NO "Difference"...

No need to shout, we are only trying to help. Have a look in syslog
to see if there are any messages (use the Log File Viewer). Note the
time at which you attempt to login so you can find the right bit of
the file. If there are any error messages search on launchpad to see
if it is a known bug.

Colin

  • Re: Unity ROCKS!!!
    ... the only way to make this and other thread (discussing Unity) ... 1980s - Windows was a novelty to me. ... The people behind Unity are working hard to keep the interface capable ... nothing to do with Canonical or Ubuntu - I am just a user. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME
    ... As for myself, I'll just use Unity, and get used to ... without having to buy the thing with Ubuntu pre-installed on it...I ... get used to it - they just install another desktop environment. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Ubuntu with Unity versus Kubuntu with KDE
    ... question to those who have used/using KDE and Unity. ... I left opensuse a couple of years ago because of KDE (with its ... and and went Ubuntu with gnome. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Gnome2 vs. Gnome3. Why not just port the old environment to the new toolkit?
    ... And before I'll start I have to admit that I never used Linux Mint in the past, and probably never want due to I'm through with everything Ubuntu-related ("But Kim, Linux Mint is something completely different, it's Ubuntu done right!" ... Anyway, I claim that Linux Mint is *only* the better choice over Ubuntu *if* you don't want to use Unity, which is in fact just a forked GNOME 3 fake, and a completely wast of time ("Kim, how dare you? ... I don't want to rant on Unity that much, to me, it's just a fork that exists because Canocical was pissed by the fact thet Red Hat took lead on the GNOME 3 development. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME
    ... As for myself, I'll just use Unity, and get used to ... without having to buy the thing with Ubuntu pre-installed on it...I ... get used to it - they just install another desktop environment. ... I like having the panel at the bottom of the screen where I can see at a glance what I have running and in what window it is running. ...
    (Ubuntu)