Re: Text Recommendation

On 04/30/2012 03:45 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
Bahn, Nathan wrote:
Please accept this apology for being too vague. I'm looking for a
good Linux (C.L.I.) instruction manual -- preferably one with good
exercises to complete. I ask this because I'm tired of being too
dependent upon the G.U.I.
Try to find something here:
<http://www.tldp.org/guides.html>
<http://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html>

Nils

There are some bash programming texts on the 'Net. One humongous
one is "Advanced Bash Scripting Guide" by Mendel Cooper (About 700 pages
altogether!) and there is an O'Reilly freebie, "bash Pocket Reference" by
Arnold Robbins. (At least I think it was free--if not, it's very cheap.)

An excellent command reference is another O'Reilly book that you'll have
to buy--"Linux in a Nutshell--A Desktop Quick Reference" by Siever, Figgins,
Love and Robbins. It's been published in successive editions since 1997;
I have the sixth edition of 2009. This is a real paper book, 900 pages.
It's the best $50 I ever spent on Linux! I use it at least once a week.

If you could find an old RedHat or SuSE Linux manual (or pair) from around
2000 or earlier, before everything got GUI-fied, there was some useful stuff there
that is not so easy to locate anymore. If there's a nearby Linux club, somebody
may have one they might give you. I seem to have lost mine.

--doug