Re: Text Recommendation

On 04/30/2012 03:45 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
Bahn, Nathan wrote:
Please accept this apology for being too vague. I'm looking for a
good Linux (C.L.I.) instruction manual -- preferably one with good
exercises to complete. I ask this because I'm tired of being too
dependent upon the G.U.I.
Try to find something here:
<http://www.tldp.org/guides.html>
<http://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html>

Nils

There are some bash programming texts on the 'Net. One humongous
one is "Advanced Bash Scripting Guide" by Mendel Cooper (About 700 pages
altogether!) and there is an O'Reilly freebie, "bash Pocket Reference" by
Arnold Robbins. (At least I think it was free--if not, it's very cheap.)

An excellent command reference is another O'Reilly book that you'll have
to buy--"Linux in a Nutshell--A Desktop Quick Reference" by Siever, Figgins,
Love and Robbins. It's been published in successive editions since 1997;
I have the sixth edition of 2009. This is a real paper book, 900 pages.
It's the best $50 I ever spent on Linux! I use it at least once a week.

If you could find an old RedHat or SuSE Linux manual (or pair) from around
2000 or earlier, before everything got GUI-fied, there was some useful stuff there
that is not so easy to locate anymore. If there's a nearby Linux club, somebody
may have one they might give you. I seem to have lost mine.

--doug

  • Re: Text Recommendation
    ... There are some bash programming texts on the 'Net. ... Arnold Robbins. ... It's been published in successive editions since 1997; ... It's the best $50 I ever spent on Linux! ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [OT] GUI goodness for your Mouse and Keyboard programming
    ... Nils Kassube wrote: ... that may lead to a higher acceptance of Linux? ... For such a thing there is sounder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the description "Anything goes Ubuntu community chit-chat and discussion list". ... I'm already subscribed to sounder. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Printer not working on Lucid 10.4
    ... On 05/11/2010 10:12 AM, Nils Kassube wrote: ... missing and will try to find out what it is... ... Linux, Solaris on that help page. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Selling Linux to Windows Users
    ... Nils Kassube said: ... I think Linux will do so. ... Didn't Windows even run on a 286? ... OTOH, what ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Ubuntu Frust: Kein Full Screen in VirtualBox
    ... Bash hingegen ist für alle gleich. ... Wenn ich den Linux File Browser suchen lasse, ... Irgendwie war das bei DOS anders. ... Jamsa gekauft, im Flieger nach Europa komplett reingezogen, feddich. ...
    (de.sci.electronics)