Re: Restoring the old gnome desktop

On 04/28/2012 11:25 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
On 26 April 2012 18:25, Bill Stanley <bstanle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 04/26/2012 12:26 PM, Avi Greenbury wrote:

< snip >

You've clearly not tried Unity on a small monitor :)
That's my point entirely! Unity does have a place on a small monitor but
it's not too good on a large monitor where there is plenty of desktop. The
large icons look HUGE on a large monitor for one. On a tablet I think Unity
would look and work fine. All I am objecting to is forcing people to use it
(especially on large monitors).
Unity works *extremely* well on a large monitor. I use it on a
3200*1200 desktop and it's lovely.

I am not saying that you have to like it - you don't; your opinions
are your own - but please don't fling around blanket statements along
the lines of "it doesn't work" or "it's no good on a large monitor".

It was not Ubuntu's choice to drop GNOME 2. GNOME 2 is dead and gone;
the GNOME Foundation have moved on to GNOME 3, which is radically
different and far less like classic GNOME than Unity is.

With GNOME 2 dead and its replacement being controversial, Ubuntu went
for something else. Don't blame them; they had to do something.

I advise you to read up on Unity, install one of the wallpapers that
reminds you what the keystrokes and techniques are, and give it a few
weeks.

If after that you are still unhappy, try Xubuntu or Lubuntu, or
install GNOME 3 and pick "fallback mode" from the login screen.

I'm sure this is very honestly given advice that might be very helpful,
but isn't it a little ironic that, for such an intuitive environment,
Unity needs a wallpaper with hints?

I'm just sayin'

Art Edwards