Re: Restoring the old gnome desktop

On 04/28/2012 11:25 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
On 26 April 2012 18:25, Bill Stanley <bstanle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 04/26/2012 12:26 PM, Avi Greenbury wrote:

< snip >

You've clearly not tried Unity on a small monitor :)
That's my point entirely! Unity does have a place on a small monitor but
it's not too good on a large monitor where there is plenty of desktop. The
large icons look HUGE on a large monitor for one. On a tablet I think Unity
would look and work fine. All I am objecting to is forcing people to use it
(especially on large monitors).
Unity works *extremely* well on a large monitor. I use it on a
3200*1200 desktop and it's lovely.

I am not saying that you have to like it - you don't; your opinions
are your own - but please don't fling around blanket statements along
the lines of "it doesn't work" or "it's no good on a large monitor".

It was not Ubuntu's choice to drop GNOME 2. GNOME 2 is dead and gone;
the GNOME Foundation have moved on to GNOME 3, which is radically
different and far less like classic GNOME than Unity is.

With GNOME 2 dead and its replacement being controversial, Ubuntu went
for something else. Don't blame them; they had to do something.

I advise you to read up on Unity, install one of the wallpapers that
reminds you what the keystrokes and techniques are, and give it a few
weeks.

If after that you are still unhappy, try Xubuntu or Lubuntu, or
install GNOME 3 and pick "fallback mode" from the login screen.

I'm sure this is very honestly given advice that might be very helpful,
but isn't it a little ironic that, for such an intuitive environment,
Unity needs a wallpaper with hints?

I'm just sayin'

Art Edwards

  • Re: Restoring the old gnome desktop
    ... it's not too good on a large monitor where there is plenty of desktop. ... On a tablet I think Unity ... It was not Ubuntu's choice to drop GNOME 2. ... install GNOME 3 and pick "fallback mode" from the login screen. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Restoring the old gnome desktop
    ... it's not too good on a large monitor where there is plenty of desktop. ... Unity works *extremely* well on a large monitor. ... It was not Ubuntu's choice to drop GNOME 2. ... install GNOME 3 and pick "fallback mode" from the login screen. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [OT] Ubuntu netbook edition or desktop edition ?
    ... Out of the box you'll gain more vertical viewing room. ... versions of gnome are coming into play here. ... Confusing the OP is what ... It almost seems like some people jump in just because its unity, hah, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: My request to ubuntu developer team
    ... Unity is, apparently, so far, distinctly better for novice users. ... may not be better for all migrants from GNOME - although personally I ... you won't like Mac OS X - they are very alike. ... I run several Macs and I barely run any Apple apps on ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Gnome2 vs. Gnome3. Why not just port the old environment to the new toolkit?
    ... And before I'll start I have to admit that I never used Linux Mint in the past, and probably never want due to I'm through with everything Ubuntu-related ("But Kim, Linux Mint is something completely different, it's Ubuntu done right!" ... Anyway, I claim that Linux Mint is *only* the better choice over Ubuntu *if* you don't want to use Unity, which is in fact just a forked GNOME 3 fake, and a completely wast of time ("Kim, how dare you? ... I don't want to rant on Unity that much, to me, it's just a fork that exists because Canocical was pissed by the fact thet Red Hat took lead on the GNOME 3 development. ...
    (SuSE)