Re: Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions

06.05.2012 17:00, G. kirjoitti:
On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
HI

I have Installed Ubuntu 11.10 as guest OS in VirtualBox running
in Ubuntu 12.04. I understand that to get the best performance I
should install the Guest Additions, but am not sure of the
correct way to do this, google having found conflicting advise on
this for me. For example [1] provides two different methods, one
in the text and another in the first comment, and when I
attempted this some time ago I think I used another method, which
I was never quite sure had worked properly. What is the
recommended way of doing this please?

Colin

[1]
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/06/26/install-virtualbox-guest-additions-on-virtualbox-guests/

I am pretty sure that on 11.10 you have to download it from the
virtual box site, and then install it with a double click while in
the guest system. I think installing it from virtual box (Device I
think) just will not work, but you can try that and if it works,
you should be fine. I have used 11.10 as a host not as a guest.

Hope it goes well.

garyk

I think that the recommended way is to install package
virtualbox-ose-guest-x11.
Many Ubuntu blogs recommend this and they say that Unity works with
that package.

- --
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728
Key fingerprint = 24BC 1573 B8EE D666 D10A AA65 4DB5 3CFE 82A4 6728
http://mkaysi.github.com/

  • Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox wont open
    ... I then would use your software install tool to install ... Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS failed ... You'll need to do this in the guest machine too when you get it ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Info : VirtualBox Tutorial
    ... Here are some of the virtualbox notes I have squirreled away. ... For x86_64 installations, you must also install: ... For windows XP as a guest OS 512M of RAM and 10G of virtual hard disk ... Configuring openSuSE 10.3 for USB support in Virtualbox ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Virtual box usb, shared folder and etc?
    ... The VirtualBox here is 1.6.0, ... The filesystem vboxsf is part of guest additions that must be ... found but seems to install the additions. ... not found in fstab etc error message. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Need More Testers Of Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3...
    ... At first glance one might read it as an official request coming from someone within Ubuntu. ... then you can install it into a VirtualBox virtual machine. ... what exactly are you disagreeing with? ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox wont open
    ... I went through the same issues when I tried to install the newest virtual box on my suse 12.1. ... Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel ... Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using ... You'll need to do this in the guest machine too when you get it running. ...
    (SuSE)