Re: Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions

On 6 May 2012 15:56, Mika Suomalainen <mika.henrik.mainio@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

06.05.2012 17:00, G. kirjoitti:
On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
HI

I have Installed Ubuntu 11.10 as guest OS in VirtualBox running
in Ubuntu 12.04.  I understand that to get the best performance I
should install the Guest Additions, but am not sure of the
correct way to do this, google having found conflicting advise on
this for me.  For example [1] provides two different methods, one
in the text and another in the first comment, and when I
attempted this some time ago I think I used another method, which
I was never quite sure had worked properly.  What is the
recommended way of doing this please?

Colin

[1]
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/06/26/install-virtualbox-guest-additions-on-virtualbox-guests/

I am pretty sure that on 11.10 you have to download it from the
virtual box site, and then install it with a double click while in
the guest system.  I think installing it from virtual box (Device I
think) just will not work, but you can try that and if it works,
you should be fine.  I have used 11.10 as a host not as a guest.

Hope it goes well.

garyk

I think that the recommended way is to install package
virtualbox-ose-guest-x11.
Many Ubuntu blogs recommend this and they say that Unity works with
that package.

Many thanks Mika, installing virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 in the guest
worked perfectly.

Colin

  • Re: Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions
    ... I have Installed Ubuntu 11.10 as guest OS in VirtualBox ... I think that the recommended way is to install package ... installing virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 in the guest ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions
    ... I have Installed Ubuntu 11.10 as guest OS in VirtualBox running in ... Ubuntu 12.04. ... install the Guest Additions, but am not sure of the correct way to do ... and then install it with a double click while in the ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions
    ... I have Installed Ubuntu 11.10 as guest OS in VirtualBox running ... should install the Guest Additions, but am not sure of the ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: More virtualbox
    ... Has anyone run Ubuntu as a guest on an Ubuntu host and seen a ... Even better, I'm running Ubuntu as a guest on Windows Vista Home, and seeing ... haven't been able to get Ubuntu to install on this new laptop (either 8.4 - ... like a pretty simple step to run Oracle in its own vm. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • >>>> INSTALL UBUNTU <<<<
    ... Ubuntu No Install Screen Boot Scripts ... After Install Ubuntu Server Constantly Reboots ... Which Ubuntu Linux Kernal To Install ...
    (rec.music.progressive)