Re: Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions

On 6 May 2012 15:56, Mika Suomalainen <mika.henrik.mainio@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

06.05.2012 17:00, G. kirjoitti:
On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
HI

I have Installed Ubuntu 11.10 as guest OS in VirtualBox running
in Ubuntu 12.04.  I understand that to get the best performance I
should install the Guest Additions, but am not sure of the
correct way to do this, google having found conflicting advise on
this for me.  For example [1] provides two different methods, one
in the text and another in the first comment, and when I
attempted this some time ago I think I used another method, which
I was never quite sure had worked properly.  What is the
recommended way of doing this please?

Colin

[1]
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/06/26/install-virtualbox-guest-additions-on-virtualbox-guests/

I am pretty sure that on 11.10 you have to download it from the
virtual box site, and then install it with a double click while in
the guest system.  I think installing it from virtual box (Device I
think) just will not work, but you can try that and if it works,
you should be fine.  I have used 11.10 as a host not as a guest.

Hope it goes well.

garyk

I think that the recommended way is to install package
virtualbox-ose-guest-x11.
Many Ubuntu blogs recommend this and they say that Unity works with
that package.

Many thanks Mika, installing virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 in the guest
worked perfectly.

Colin