Can you retrofit the non-PAE kernel to a Precise install LiveUSB?

I've tried to install Precise from CD on my IBM Thinkpad X31 laptop.
It won't boot. Precise uses the PAE kernel and my 2004 laptop's
Pentium-M CPU.

(Lubuntu works but I wanted to try a clean install of "full" Ubuntu
first. 11.10 is getting unusably slow on this machine, but then, it
started out on 8.10 & has been updated through every version since.)

If I make a Precise LiveUSB with the System Disk Creator and then I
boot it, can I install the non-PAE kernel into that and then boot and
install from it?

Email: lproven@xxxxxxxxx • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@xxxxxxxxxxx • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884