No 1680x1050 for external monitor

I just installed Kubuntu 12.04 on a neighbour's laptop computer with
Intel graphics. He uses the computer with an external monitor attached
as the laptop's builtin monitor is faulty and useless. Both the laptop
internal monitor and the external monitor are of the same resolution:
1680x1050.

When configuring the resolutions with the KDE graphical tool, there is
an option for 1680x1050 for the laptop monitor, but for the external
monitor the options only go up to about 1200x768. When connecting this
monitor to my desktop to test (Kubuntu 11.10) the desktop sends it
1680x1050 with no problems. So why won't the Kubuntu 12.04 laptop send
it that resolution? How can I fix this?

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

  • Re: F17 External Monitor on 945GM
    ... At this point the screen flickers again and my laptop comes back but the ... LCD to where the monitor "is" but it's not lit so no joy there. ... play with any of the kbd combo keys to force the external monitor gnome-shell ... I had some similar problems with FC16 on an HP laptop with the i915 chip set. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: connecting an external monitor - drivers
    ... I have just bought a laptop for the 1st time, ... I want to attach an external monitor. ... but when I install it will its driver overwrite the laptop's own LCD ...
    (uk.comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: Problem with external monitor
    ... that I want to use with two of my laptop ... With the external monitor connected and switched on, upon bootup, the ... nVidia and the Haswell controllers, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Problem with external monitor
    ... that I want to use with two of my laptop ... With the external monitor connected and switched on, upon bootup, the ... nVidia and the Haswell controllers, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Are nVidia closed source drivers still needed for 2 years old chipset?
    ... :> Does the open source driver have TwinView these ... But I couldn't get TwinView to work with the nvidia ... : laptop monitor. ... the laptop, half on the tv. ...
    (Fedora)