Netbook kernel panic

Recently I tried to install 12.04 on a Compaq mini. Previously it had window xp installed and was frozen when it was getting out of hiberation.
I did a clean install of 12.04 but there appears to be kernel errors

If I start it up it goes into a cursor and nothing else. If I try to boot from usb I can get into some ubuntu boot menus but they mostly seem to yield the following:

"[8.088394]Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
[8.088459]Pid: 1, comm: swappe/0 Not tainted 3.2.0-23-generic-pae #36-Ubuntu

[8.088510]Call Trace:"
There's some others parts on screen but I think the panic is the most significant.

There is a white light that flashes on the unit in the upper left. It does not respond to the keyboard and results in me having to reset it.
Memory tests and BIOS run fine.

Is there any way to format the hard drive as it is now? --
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Kernel Panic Problem
    ... Recently I tried to install 12.04 on a Compaq mini. ... Previously it had window xp installed and was frozen when it was getting out of hiberation. ... If I try to boot from usb I can get into some ubuntu boot menus but they mostly seem to yield the following: ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: At wits end - "No Audio Device"
    ... PnP enumerator then delete the registry entries and go through the steps to ... On the Registry Editor window select the Edit menu then select Find. ... something like Install Anyway. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Bit Twister: Is this the dhclient-exit-hooks you were talking about?
    ... It lets you take a screenshot ... See slrn running in the term window? ... Redhat left the linux user community in the lurch awhile back ... She will go for that and then I can get on with the FC5 install that I ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Aluminum frame and replacement window problem - window.jpg (0/1)
    ... You cannot post pictures directly to a.h.r. ... I can install the one I didnt ruin and use the aluminum frame as the stop. ... look different than the replacement window that will be next to it. ... sash out, a bit, and slide some kind of moisture barrier ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: At wits end - "No Audio Device"
    ... start from scratch but not sure I'm up to a full install:( ... the Plug and Play Software Enumerator so I reinstalled it with the Add ... Open the Add Hardware wizard and select Next on the Welcome window. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)