Re: ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME

ty Tom. I thought Unity is separate from GNOME (like KDE)

________________________________
From: Tom H <tomh0665@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Ubuntu Users <ubuntu-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 2, 2012 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Q1. is it possible to remove unity and HUD and install GNOME?
Q2. what apps/functionality will i loose?

If you have Unity installed, you have GNOME installed. You mean that
you want to replace Unity with GNOME Shell.

You can install "gnome-shell" either from the regular Ubuntu repos or
from a PPA.

I have no idea whether you can uninstall Unity and, if you can, what
effect it'll have; I have both Unity and GNOME Shell installed (and
Cinnamon).