Re: ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME

ty Tom. I thought Unity is separate from GNOME (like KDE)

________________________________
From: Tom H <tomh0665@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Ubuntu Users <ubuntu-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 2, 2012 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Q1. is it possible to remove unity and HUD and install GNOME?
Q2. what apps/functionality will i loose?

If you have Unity installed, you have GNOME installed. You mean that
you want to replace Unity with GNOME Shell.

You can install "gnome-shell" either from the regular Ubuntu repos or
from a PPA.

I have no idea whether you can uninstall Unity and, if you can, what
effect it'll have; I have both Unity and GNOME Shell installed (and
Cinnamon).

  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Gnome2 vs. Gnome3. Why not just port the old environment to the new toolkit?
    ... And before I'll start I have to admit that I never used Linux Mint in the past, and probably never want due to I'm through with everything Ubuntu-related ("But Kim, Linux Mint is something completely different, it's Ubuntu done right!" ... Anyway, I claim that Linux Mint is *only* the better choice over Ubuntu *if* you don't want to use Unity, which is in fact just a forked GNOME 3 fake, and a completely wast of time ("Kim, how dare you? ... I don't want to rant on Unity that much, to me, it's just a fork that exists because Canocical was pissed by the fact thet Red Hat took lead on the GNOME 3 development. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Oh, please, please, COME ON Ubuntu development people!
    ... Apparently, it will be based on GNOME 3, but with the traditional ... There are more options opening up for people who wish to leave Ubuntu, ... Unity and GNOME 3 but keep the Debian base and the power of apt-get ... Contacts app *always* goes back to the list, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: unity panel make sticky
    ... I just switched to Ubuntu 11.10. ... How do I make the unity panel on the left side sticky? ... If you would like to change additional Gnome settings you could try ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Installing KDE and Removing Ubuntu (Dont want Kubuntu)
    ... I wanted to install Ubuntu and remove Gnome and install KDE.. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME
    ... As for myself, I'll just use Unity, and get used to ... without having to buy the thing with Ubuntu pre-installed on it...I ... get used to it - they just install another desktop environment. ...
    (Ubuntu)